Question

who else is never walking into a kmart again after that ghetto bus/kid commercial

definitely know who kmart’s dwindled down customer base is. kmart could save some money and maybe make some extra simply by partnering with taco bell, mcdonalds, wendy’s, and burger king.. ask obama if his kids would be in the nextbus commercial..
time to put the shutters on

Answers

90 answers

1. Here is some math for you: Black does NOT equal ghetto! Rap does not equal ghetto! Shopping at K-Mart= Ghetto! Don't get it twisted!

2. The latest Kmart entry into the end of Western Civilization depicts a group of pre-teen girls dancing and singing to gangster rap music, while gold-colored dollars "rain down" on them and pre-teen boys look on flashing hand signals that originated in LA gangs.

That Sears/Kmart would fall to this level of depravity is only surpassed by the probability that their consumer research shows that their target demographic finds this attractive, rather than the insult that it really is.

We're done for.

1. In response to ptg1

If there were legitimate black leaders -- interested in the welfare of the black American community, rather than their own egos and pocketbooks -- they would call for a boycott of Kmart. Instead, they target Walmart -- a "cracker" company -- that would never demean its customers in this way.

2. In response to ptg1

Depravity... I'm surprised you can spell it. I certain that if you look up the definition in the urban dictionary you would find it describes a bunch of impoverished racists on a site called "My Kmart" calling children ghetto simply because they are black. While you are shopping at K-Mart, those "Ghetto" children are shopping in Nordstrom. That is what the world is coming too, sweetie pie!

You are correct about one thing. You and your kind ARE done for.
      There's a new sun
      Risin' up angry in the sky
      And there's a new voice
      Sayin': "we're not afraid to die!"
      Let the old world make believe
      It's blind and deaf and dumb, but
      Nothing can change the shape of things to come

Not rap, Rock and Roll from 1968. Remember... the Devil's music.

3. In response to ptg1

I take it that YOU are interested in the black community?

If you don't understand the difference between Wal-Mart and this commercial, that would explain why you shop at both stores.

The presence of black children singing in a commercial is NOT demeaning to black people. Perhaps it is to you because you and yours didn't get the gig!

4. In response to ptg1

I WAS GOING TO REMARK TO YOUR STATEMENT BUT REALIZED YOU ARE FROM VA SO YOU WOULD NEED SOMEONE TO READ IT TO YOU.

3. I would be interested to see how theft at kmart stores is about to SKYROCKET.

1. In response to joe_smithson77

HEY JOE JOE AND ALL YOU OTHER RACIST ON HERE, I HEARD KMART HAS A SALE ON WHITE SHEETS! MAYBE YOU WILL WALK IN FOR THOSE. WHAT CAN I SAY. USELY SHOCKED BUT NOT ANYMORE. I AM JUST EMBARRASSED. I WISH WE COULD SPERATE THIS LAND AND SEND ALL YOU IMBREDS DOWN SOUTH IN YOUR OWN LITTLE WOURLD, AND LET YOU RISE AGAIN SO YOU CAN GET YOU A##ES HANDED TO YOU AGAIN, AND STICK THAT STUPID STARS AND CROSS FLAG WHERE THE SUN DOESNT SHINE, FOR YOU ARE AMERICAS DOWN FALL.... IDIOTS!!!

2. In response to joe_smithson77

JUST ADMIT IT...YOUR JUST MAD THAT KMART WONT BE FOLLOWING THE OTHE RACES AROUND THE STORE, MAKING IT NOT SO EASY FOR YOU TO GET YOUR THEFT ON,I HAVE SEEN IT SOOO MANY TIMES, AND YES THEFT WILL GO UP BECUZ YOUR WHITE ASSES WILL NOW BE CAUGHT!!!HAHAHA SO JOE,,YOU MIGHT NEED TO GET A JOB AND GO TO WORK

4. Stepped into my last Kmart!! If that's the kind of marketing they are after. Done with them!!

1. In response to NoKmart

GOOD, I HOPE EVERYONE OF YOU IDIOTS DON'T SHOP THERE THAT WAY ALL THE FAT GREASY GUN TOTING UGLY BIBLE THUMPING INBREDS WONT BE BLOCKING THE ISLES WITH YOUR SCOOTERS WITH YOUR OVERLY OBESE KIDS ACTING UP SCREAMING ACTING LIKE THEIR PARENTS. SICK OF GOING OUT IN PUBLIC AND HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SPECTICAL. YOURE ALL JUST GROSS AND CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THESE KIDS. THEY COULD PROBABLY TEACH YOU A FEW THINGS LIKE SAY...MATH...SCIENCE...YOU KNOW..THE THINGS YOU DON'T FIND IN YOUR BOOK OF TALES AND DONT BELIEVE IN......AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK RACISM IS JUST AN EXCUSE,TAKE THE POINTED WHITE HOOD OFF AND YOU MIGHT SEE IT!

5. I wish KMart would go out of business already!! I wish I can petition these pathetic attempts at marketing. Sensationalizing uneducated ghetto kids that cant articulate correctly. Hip-hop Generation??? Whatever!!! Its just disgusting to watch and very offensive as these kids are used unknowingly. But Please don't fall for the race wars the media is spinning right now!!! Its a total diversion to the real issues OBAMA!! TSA, NSA, The Prism Program, The IRS Scandal, Benghazi, The Syria spin. Don't fall for the race war propaganda!!!! BTW Im an Africa American as well and like hip hop music, but hattttttte these pathetic commercials!!

6. I feel that marketing will use what works to target people's wallets. It is not personal. Kmart is targeting a specific market. I am a middle aged white female. They didn't make this commercial for me. I don't relate to it at all. I have no desire to relate to it. I've never listened to rap music and my college degree was in Opera. The thing is, the commercial has a definite style. The dancing, the clothes, the music...Not everyone can relate to this. Not everyone was meant to relate to this. I know that I wouldn't want my children to dress in the clothes they are wearing. I just change the channel or mute the TV. There are so many fantastic places to shop for amazing clothes that are well made and classy. As adults, it is our responsibility to help children create images that will express their individuality and also retain self respect. Just because everyone else is doing it or wearing it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Teach your children how not to be manipulated by these marketing strategies. Give them the tools to be able to resist the pressure to be like everyone else. Help them make choices that will open doors and keep them safe. Kmart is not looking out for your kids, they are using your kids to tap into your wallet. It's up to you to look out for your families.

7. What a bunch of ignorant bigots! Who cares what you think! if you don't like the commercial, then shoot your TV. This is 2013, we are here to stay so deal with it! We are very talented and the public loves us..Deal with it! The majority of these comments are the typical racist comments left by those that hide behind their computers...it only makes us stronger..thank you! If you don't like us, please stop butchering and burning your bodies in an attempt to look like us, you tan, get **** and lip shots, and it's ridiculous. Why do you try so hard to mimic what you hate? It must be a miserable life for you...I can not imagine...oh yea and to top it off you have a black President.

1. In response to onlyintheus

This black /white thing is growing old. Our president is half black and half white. He was raised by a white grandmother and grandfather and a white mother. He barely knew his father. There are however, some amazing "all" black role models that come to mind that you young people are never taught about and they are truly brilliant human beings that excelled in very difficult times. Look them up on wikipedia. They inspire us all no matter what shade our outer layer might be.
      Paul Robeson: Opera singer, actor, spoke 20 languages. Football player too. Amazing life story.
      Condoleeza Rice: 66th US Secretary of State, concert pianist.
      Colin Powell: 65th US Secretary of State. Military man
      Leontyne Price: Brilliant Opera singer
      Kathleen Battle: Opera Singer
      There are so many more, doctors, inventors, scientists. etc.
      Louis Armstrong: Fantastic Jazz musician.
      If you watch the science channel there are numerous astronomers and mathematicians.
      It seems to me that you are unaware of this history and can't realize the disservice this kind of commercial does to your own community. Don't be manipulated by the media this way. The information is out there, but you have to do the work. There are other ways to view history than through hateful eyes. There are other cultures in this world that are being oppressed. Human beings seem to mistreat each other no matter what there skin color is. Think of the Christians in Libya whose Churches are being burned down by the Muslim Brotherhood just because they are Christian, or the girls in India forced into marriage at the age of 8.

2. In response to onlyintheus

WTF ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT???? I AGREE WITH ONLYINTHEUS. I am a white female(nana) that has biracial grand children, and biracial aunts from AFRICA!!!(OMG... YOU WHITE IT IS A COMMERCIAL FOR KIDS CLOTHES(CUTE CLOTHES AT THAT) AND I LIKE THE COMMERCIAL IT IS WHAT KIDS ARE LIKE OR WANT TO BE LIKE AND PARENTS SHOULD LET THEM BE JUST THAT. CLOTHES DONT MAKE THE KID.PEEPS MUST THINK IM GHETTO.) YOU ARE ALL IGNORANT AND TURNED IT INTO A POLITICAL THING!!! CONSERVATIVES WILL GO AFTER ANYTHING THAT STARS BLACK PEOPLE, EVEN THE CHILDREN. AND THE REMARK ABOUT THEFT GOING UP. THAT WAS A SICK AND VERY FALSE STATEMENT. WHITE PEOPLE ARE FAR WORSE AT THEFT, ITS A FACT. I SHOPPED AT KMART FOR THESE CLOTHES. SO CUTE. JUST ANOTHGER WAY TO BASH OUR PRESIDENT...YOU FOOLS.AND BY THE WAY, WE LIVE IN AN UPPER PRICED NEIGHBORHOOD.....AROUND BIGGOUTS JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED FOR RAISING YOUR KIDS TO GROW UP TO BE IDIOTS LIKE YOURSELVES!!!!

8. The commercial is extremely racist and glorifies a ghetto mentality. Yes, this commercial will keep me from ever walking into any Kmart again. Having one white girl in the commercial only causes concern for her safety.

1. In response to Momoftwo13

Please tell me why would the white girl have concerns about her safety? Your ignorant , 1. When it comes to family I will keep something going for days. These kids been performing for good causes in north minneapolis . In 2013 what music is popular ? And that is hiphop I don't see anything wrong with saying my school bus is my limo it only teaches kids to think like that .

2. In response to Momoftwo13

MOMOFTWO SHOULD BE MOMOFNONE! YOU ARE IGNORANT! MAYBE THE BLACK CHILDREN SHOULD BE CONCERNED FOR THE SAFETY FROM PARENTS LIKE YOU...OMG THE STUPIDITY OF MY OWN RACE IS SOOOOOOO EMBARRASSING!!!

3. In response to Momoftwo13

GOOD, HOPE YOU ALL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN. YOU STINK UP THE PLACE

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7UlE-o8DQQ Would you describe the following as ghetto. It's apparent by its use to describe the K-mart commercials featuring "Da Rich Kids" that it has more to do with the ethnicity of the group and that they are "rapping"(an element of Hip Hop)rather than Hip Hop alone. The commercial link above is completely Hip Hop. The music is a take-off of dub step,(import from UK) the dancing is a combination of "krumping",break dancing, and dub step. Hip Hop is mainstream and international and is being used to sell products to its target audience. If it does not appeal to you. Then you can safely assume you are not part of the target audience Kmart is targeting.

1. In response to Piess

"Then you can safely assume you are not part of the target audience Kmart is targeting." No, we don't "assume" we know Kmart doesn't want our money, in fact they play music in their stores to chase us out. Worked for the Puyallup store that will be closed next month, I walk in and turn around and walk right back out, no assuming anything, I am not the target customer. Seems they weren't making money funny how that works.

Two Walmarts there and two Targets in Puyallup, and none play music. Seems their target customers are everyone.

10. There is nothing "ghetto" about that commercial. Seems to me that Kmart is appealing to the audience the advertisement was geared too...Kids...who happen to love rap regardless of their race, creed or color. Wake up people!!!

11. I don't give a rat's a$$ what color the kids are, but while some of you are at it, let's just say this commercial is NOT doing the black community any favors with stereotypes. I went to a very mixed black/white school in Dallas and if a black kid was on the straight and narrow, and succeeding academically, the other black kids ridiculed him/her as "actin' white". So glorifying the "ghetto mentality" in a Back to School commercial is catering to it's lowest common denominator. Since they are spending my (and your) money anyway, we should make our voices heard. Here are some of it's charming "Back to School" lyrics:

"My school bus is my limo
    My school bus is my limo
    I rule back to schoo with my cap on and my brim low
    Chauffer? You know, fer’ sho’
    Man, my school bus is my limo (ride)

Ride with me
    Ride with me

[Frizzy Free]
    Got my hoodie for a Hami
    Hoodie for a Hami
    Hami’s Alex Hamilton
    Haterz, they can’t stand me"

Do any of us think singing about "Hoodies" is appropriate in a Back to School commercial, especially considering recent events ? Remember that the posts calling us "racist rednecks" are coming from the very crowd this commercial caters to. Ignore them while the adults in the room hash this out. If you're black, white, brown, you should be concerned about the values Kmart is espousing in this commercial.

here it is in its entirety, for your listening pleasure:
    http://rapgenius.com/Da-rich-kidzz-my-limo-lyrics

Enjoy, and then take your money elsewhere.

12. Have to agree... Pretty disheartening if there's ANY chance that this will have the desired effect of increasing sales. Ad might get attention, but hardly in a positive way. I'll be steering clear of K-Mart indefinitely.

13. A bunch of pretentious kids looking at themselves while they're dancing, thinking their **** don't stink. Makes me want to hurl every time it airs. I go out of my way to turn the channel when it comes on. No wonder Kmart is going down the tubes with commercials like this.

14. This commercial is SO Ghetto... and not so much because the children are black... because the hip hop generation is upon us. Ill'n, kill'n, and chill'n, Gang Bang'n... It's pretty annoying and sad. The children have nothing to do with it, per say, but this is the kind of musak and **** that they are being introduced to. I use to tape dance recitals, and found it pretty humorous to find the children of all ages jump'n around and gyrating like little hoochies. A low mentality "art" form that does seem to keep the hoods preoccupied. As for Kmart, I feel like it's a dinosaur, like Venture (purchased by Kmart) and TG&Y... and they no longer exist. I never shop at Kmart... ever.

Next we will see a commercial with a school bus jump'n up and down on hydraulics... Driven by Eminem, while children are hang'n out the windows rapp'n to old McDonalds had a farm... wigga wigga wrut wroh!

15. I just have to say that this commercial is annoying. Not because of the kids or the color of their skin but because of the sound...I actually turn the station so I don't have to hear it. In addition to that, it won't get me to shop at Kmart anyway. Kmart has terrible buildings in our area, terrible selection of merchandise, and even their "specials" only make their prices the same as Walmart. They are more expensive. Thanks but no thanks, I don't need the extra annoying commercials to get me in the door, lower your prices and make it worth my while to make an extra stop.

16. I have watched it a few times. I can't figure out what "skoo" is or for "sho." Since this video isn't supposed to be showing "ghetto" I figured it COULDN'T be anything like ebonics or lazy english :) Therefore it can't be "school" and "show" could it? The video is ridiculous. Speak freakin' English and maybe it wouldn't be such a viral issue.

1. In response to Hmmmmmmmmmm

The way they talk is sickening and the way they act is worse! And when a poster asks what kind of music is popular today? The answer is **** that is what is popular now. No music that is made today is worth listening to it has no feeling. Comparing what these nasty kids are like now to the way kids were when rock n roll first began& was not liked either is bogus because the kids who first loved rock n roll could speak proper English, respected people and still acted right! They may have had loud music tastes& danced, and hung out at malt shops then against their parents liking- but they went to school anyhow and learned in spite of music. They acted like young adults in public also. Every other word out of their mouths was not the F word like now. Comparing culture now to rock n roll is insane to say the least! The kids in the ad are horrific looking and acting and their speech is revolting! It makes others want to sound just as ignorant. I am sick of the ghetto style today it has to GO! I am not even older or white myself- I am Mexican and younger, and educated. Todays style and music makes me physically ill and so does this nasty ad. I live in Minneapolis also, (like poster above),and I must say no one around here is saying or doing anything positive through messed up English or acting stupid& violent and ghetto. We do not welcome that **** around here. If you do, personally you must also act that way! We welcome all races- educated, well spoken people of all races, that is, not trash like this portrays. Anyone calling me racist just wants to deny the truth about reality. No one except other ignorant people like this type of nonsense.

17. I know K-Mart is desperate,but these new commercials are blatently racist and I'm glad to see others with the same opinion. Young African-Americans singing that their bus is their limo, as if materialism is the most important and valuable thing in their lives. This commercial is just encouraging that whole ghetto mentality. How about singing about asperations to become a doctor, scientist, and on and on.Shame on you K-Mart!!!!

18. These new kmart commercials are sick! Who ever came up with such a bright idea needs to be fired.

19. You sound like a racist red neck idiot. You would seriously let a commercial stop you from shopping at a certain store? If I complained about the senseless commercials with happy for no reason white folk and said I would never shop there again I guess I would be targeted too huh? Get the stick out your *** and get a life. Not every commercial is targeted to a single group. I think it was smart using a group the young kids recognize. Most kids don't like K-Mart clothes but seeing a familiar face wearing their clothes may make them ask their parents to start shopping there. If you don't like it change the channel. People like you make me sick and should be banned from breathing. smh

1. In response to Nonyabusiness

Blah, blah, blah! Racism? Really? Racism is such a b.s. excuse! Oh and just for your info nonya, I am a redneck and **** proud of it! Talk about prejudices! You are such a hypocrite! Just to be clear, I hate this commercial not because the kids are black, but because today's society is completely destroying the new generation. The reason i think rap is horrible is because it shouldn't even be counted as music because there is no actual singing. It is destroying the minds of today's generations because they are becoming completely ignorant to everything else. Next time you want to insult a redneck, think before you open your mouth. Racism and prejudices are just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself for throwing prejudices out there to try and justify calling someone racist!

20. I think that what seperates this from other companies rap infused commercials is that Kmart went out on a limb and actually used the kids that actually like this kind of stuff, instead of target or mcdonalds that puts well dressed white kids to rap awkwardly and look cute to the general public, because they know that this is a hot button issue and they have to be careful how much they delve into this subject matter. kmart on the other hand pushed the boundaries and put actual black kids that probably grew up in that atmosphere and actually are "ghetto" and i think america is not ready for that yet. it sucks but these kids are not liked by the general public. its ironic that what they are promoting is the opposite of what that genre thinks is cool. school. most parents dont want there kids acting like these kids, i know i dont want my kids throwing up gang signs and dancing like "that". these kids are actually "ghetto" which is the problem for most of the people with one. NOTE: i dont shop at kmart or sears so that doesnt really matter to me and i dont really like this commercial becasue its a little distasteful to me, but to each there own i suppose.

1. In response to THUG4LYFERLNGGASHT

The latest advertising campaign makes me see in my mind's eye a parking lot full of "gangsters", and I have no desire to venture there any longer, for fear of my own and my family's safety. Maybe that's why Target and McDonald's use those cute little white kids. I think Kmart has just stereotyped itself.

21. Stay home then. More savings for me. No way would a commercial stop me from saving money - you be the fool, LOL

22. Fact of the matter is this, There's no reason to complain. This whole country has endorsed the "Ebonics language" and "Hip Hop lifestyle" It is what is promoted everyday on t.v., radio, magazines, etc.. American I.Q. has plummeted and there is no sight for improving any time soon. Here in Dallas if you aren't from the area then more than likely you will not be able to understand a lot of the accents because they speak "ebonics" think I'm exaggerating then please by all means google or youtube. For a better definition then watch the movie "Idiocracy" that's exactly what's happening in America today because of this generation. By the way just because people do not like the commercial does not make them racist, In fact only people that call other people racists are actually the ones that are racists that's way you are so quick to jump the gun and call someone else racist.

23. I first would like to say that those of you who are calling this commercial "ghetto" need to reevaluate yourselves, because you all are coming off VERY ignorant. I bet that half of you would not have a problem if the commercial had little white boys and girls dancing to country music! Just because you don't like rap or hip-hop and do not understand the music, and style does not give you the right to call this commercial ghetto. And just because there is only one white girl in the commercial does not mean it is racist, because if that's the case majority of the commercials aired today are extremely racist. Either they don't include children of color or there is only one. I think people as ignorant as you all should keep your opinions to yourself. THESE ARE CHILDREN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR CALLING THEM NAMES & DOWNING WHAT THEY REPRESENT!! It's close minded people like you that give Americans a bad name. Get a life. And remember Kmart may lose you but many money shoppers will be gained from this commercial and the future commercials!

1. In response to AshMcmillan1

you're stupid.

2. In response to AshMcmillan1

No you're just incompetent and mad. I have more credentials and degree's than you will ever have,so be careful who you call stupid.

3. In response to AshMcmillan1

Hi Everyone. Just want to thank you all for sharing your opinions here and also remind you to please be courteous to others here. We sincerely appreciate every single member's feedback and want everyone to feel welcome to contribute here. Please be respectful of one another and refrain from name calling.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts here!

4. In response to AshMcmillan1

Wow!! It's good to see the freedom of the community back. Good for Kmart (Laurel) for letting this stand.

5. In response to AshMcmillan1

Hey, just so you know. There is a space after the comma Mrs. Degree ;)

6. In response to AshMcmillan1

LOL,@ aqgudb...thay's all you got...your stupid??? Someone says something with substance and you come back with....your stupid...LMMFAO

24. Its not just about the music choice. There was one white kid in the commercial. They tie in Ghetto Rap, with 8 black kids and 1 white kid. Thats the problem. Who cares what the music choice is, its how they portrayed it.

1. In response to PinkTacoxD

And on top of it, the commercial is called "My Limo" by Da Rich Kidz. I mean, C'mon.

2. In response to PinkTacoxD

How many commercials has there been with all white kids and 1 black kid? Give them a break those 8 kids been a rap group since they were younger here in minneapolis . Is only right for them to stick together js !

25. yeah the bus commercial is very ghetto. It's kinda funny because I went to a 98% black school in middle school (which was so much more ghetto than this commercial) & everyone used to complain about the Rosa Park deal yet they were bound & determined to sit at the back of the school bus everyday & I always wondered why. Now I know 8 years later. lol

26. KMart is contributing to the low educated, and delinquency of the of American children.

27. These recent Kmart commercials are simply embarrassing. I'm a black man in my thirties, and I'm tired of the loser gangster-thug lifestyles portrayed in music videos. The same ugly dance moves and attitudes are present in these commercials. At least none of the kids are wearing their pants down to their knees!! I think this whole hip-hop/gangster-rap "trend" has been going on for way too long. People are seeing this lifestyle and attitude as funny and putting it in commercials. But really, it gives a bad image especially to black people in general. And now black people are stereotyped and associated to the gangster lifestyle. These commercials contribute and almost promote this lifestyle by saying that it's cool to act like a fool. Kmart has lost my business and their respect.

1. In response to Orion32

You are exactly correct sir. Could'nt have said it better.

2. In response to Orion32

Whoa low educated ? Do you want to see their report cards ? They are very educated that was a low hit ! Don't talk about my cousins

28. This thread proves that racism is still alive and kicking. Not only that if a few people stop shopping with this company; who cares what about ALL there subsidiaries; such as Sears. That's only one they have so many more. Besides, for every couple of people that stop shopping here how many people do you think will start because the kids are going to want to go. Also, Kmart should be glad to loose ignorant patrons like some of you

1. In response to ignoranceisbliss

Hey just so you know :) It's LOSE not LOOSE ;) Wouldn't want you to be called uneducated for it so I am educating you :)

29. What a bunch of idiots. Calling children thugs, hoodlums and gangsta because of a commercial advertising great deals for kids and parents that both can be pleased with. Wake up people, not everything is a race war. Chill out. And for the record, I am not now nor have I ever been a thug, hoodlum or gangsta and I like the commercial, which us how I came across this joke of a complaint. You people have nothing better to do than whine about a commercial. Get a life. Read a book. Open your mind and your heart. Stop with the labeling. Goodness. KMart, I think the commercial is adorable. Your advertising/marketing team should keep up the good work. Oh, and by the way, as you can obviously tell, I write and speak English very well and I still like the cute commercial. American born and bred and proud of it.

1. In response to KatMo

You certainly do :)! Thanks for the entry, which is very nice indeed !

2. In response to KatMo

if you find this commercial cute than you are ghetto.

3. In response to KatMo

I agree with the first part, people are stupid for calling those kids thugs. I think whoever thought of the commercial is stupid.
      & you shouldn't be telling people to stop whining about it and to get a life. your comment's on here too, moron.

30. I was one who used to buy their shoes and put things on lay-a-way. They have lost my business and others will follow after I pass the word around, especially my daughter who has 5 children. It is one thing to do rap, but another to promote gangster rap style music and more blacks in the commercial than whites or other races. Excuse me but I believe they call that racism... You have lost my business and others will follow!!

1. In response to b_dufore

What exactly is gangster about this commercial?

2. In response to b_dufore

the HAND GESTURES and BODY MOVEMENTS are ALL ghetto and "GANGSTA" even if you don't think the rap is and the fact most of the kids are black <THIS in itself should make black people think it's racially profiling

31. I work for Kmart and I think the commercial is cute and catchy. The kids are a group of kid fromAtlanta. They are popular with the kids today. That's who it is targeted for. They're just rapping about getting their school supplies and clothes from Kmart. So sorry to lose close minded members over something so petty. Does this mean you won't be shopping at Sears as well? Kmart owns Sears, just in case you didn't do your research.

1. In response to traciej73

Oh Thanks for reminding me to put Sears on my do not shop list

2. In response to traciej73

ummmm....actually Sears owns Kmart...and you work there...

32. Wow ! - what a popular thread ! As a minimum, this topic is bringing a bunch of folks to the site {^^,!!!

All are welcomed, and I hope that sales of all kind hit a record high !
    Happy Friday :):) !

33. That commercial is no worse than the rapping from hamsters on a car commercial or the rapping that Mcdonald's does for theirs. Not to mention Target. Just because it is Kmart, I will still use Kmart, at least they are nice, and have layaway. They don't look at people like they are going to take something. Get over it. It is a new age now.

34. K-Mart, have you completely lost your minds portraying the youth of America as gangster rapping hoodlums. Seriously, this is the most horrible thing I've ever seen for a commercial. Here I'm trying to teach my kids proper respectful values and you idiots at K-Mart are glorifying low-life gangster hoodlum behavior. You can tell the only people giving compliments to these low-life commercials are illiterates that can't properly speak English themselves.

1. In response to rapishate

"Gangster" "Hoodlum" nothing in that video fits in that context? It's simply some little kids hyped up in a commercial rapping about how they are happy about their SCHOOL SUPPLIES, and THANKING THEIR MOMS. People like you are who to thank for ruining everything. Keep your simple "****" off the Internet and live inside your little box till you shrivel up and die.

2. In response to rapishate

Nothing in that video fits that context? Where do you think they learn how to rap? from some rap video that doesn't portray the "gangster" and "hoodlum" lifestyle? tell me one rap video that does not do that bull****... keep your simple *** in the real world... little kids dancing around in front of the camera exactly like a stupid *** gangbanger rap video...get real schx

3. In response to rapishate

BOOOOO rapishate! You are ignorant and a bigot. Simply calling children hoodlums because of musical choice is the problem with the U.S. The problem are stubborn, narrow minded people like yourself. You are stereotyping people based on a genre. Can you not think of any drug addicted, wife beating, lay breaking, immoral rock and roll artist? Country artist? Jazz artist?

4. In response to rapishate

jt7747 be sure you read my comment about bigots like yourself that stereotype people based on my music.

5. In response to rapishate

I speak English very well, thank you, and I love the commercial. I would really like to know what makes this commercial hoodlum and gangsta?

6. In response to rapishate

Oh, where to begin. I too didn't like the commercials, but then I had to stop myself and tell myself to stop being hypocritical. I was once a teen who listened to rap music, I also listened to country, classical, rock, R & B, Christian, etc. As a teen, I was into the Prince scene with the hair shaved on one side, etc. Thank God I had good parents who did not judge. I have a teen son who is into hip hop, not Gangster as you put it. He likes to dress hip hop, draw graffiti, and listen to rap. I do agree that there is music that should be banned, but that goes with ALL music genres, not just hip hop. As far as the commercial goes, there is nothing that is insulting or degrading. Is it my style? No. I prefer a more preppy style, but we are all different. If you want everyone to be the same then I suggest you find a cult. I can walk outside my home and find fault in every culture, but I can also find the good. I have seen the good and bad in all of them. Let us not forget that there are kids who are from rich, preppy families that have gone out and committed heinous crimes. There are people who are into hip hop that have gone out of their way to help others. We can't judge people by what they listen to or how they dress or how they dance. We can only judge them by the way they treat others. Even with that being said most kids change by the time they reach their 30's. So even if they have made bad choices as children/teens that doesn't mean that is who they are. By the way, there are some good Christian rap artists out there. They sing about God. Are they a bad influence on our children too? My advice to you is to lighten up, give everything a chance, and remember we are all different for a reason. If you are trying to instill good behavior in your children then you might want to begin with not judging others. Thank you and have a good day.

7. In response to rapishate

I love how everybody has the "problem with the U.S" lol You'd think if everybody had the problem then the solution would be thought of by now. You guys just need to give it up. The minute that commercial came on my TV the first time, I looked up in disgust. K-Mart is infamous for low budget everything and located in bad areas of major cities (mostly). Add this ridiculous commercial with the "gangsta dance" and the "bus limo." Anybody who said this isn't making the attempt to appeal to a specific demographic is straight fooling themselves. Live in denial all you want but this commercial strengthens the stereotype by appearance and whether it was meant to or not, it IS portraying a bad image so frankly it doesn't matter if their target was not to do so.

8. In response to rapishate

I agree that I am NOT a fan of this commercial, however they are not showing these kids as "hoodlums" because the definition of the word is one who engages in violence and crime. Although I see it as slightly annoying with the slang, there is NO crime or violence. Please only use words that make sense to state your point, otherwise you make "white people" (yes I'm white) seem Prejudice and just because I dislike one commercial does not make me dislike "black people". I would find this equally as annoying if it was a bunch of white kids rapping/dancing, its not the skin color that is the problem, it's the dumb song that I can't even understand half of. And I don't think your teaching your kids very good values if you are showing them that it's okay to call people names, I quote " k-Mart idiots", "illiterates that can't properly speak English". We all have the right to voice our opinion, but don't have to be so out right mean, hateful or rude, as you yourself come off as a racist who is teaching your children that it's okay to belittle others simply because they don't like something.

9. In response to rapishate

I really like your answer, Rdalton114 ! Yours, as well as some other ones here, truly echoes several key values in today's societal stream :)

These are the kind of Q&As that keep our Kmart community interesting {^^,] !

10. In response to rapishate

of course they're not hoodlums!! The boys in the commercial use fake money to "make it rain" so the girls in the commercial must be strippers!!!

make it rain
      February 28, 2008 Urban Word of the Day
      When you're in da club with a stack, and you throw the money up in the air at the strippers. The effect is that it seems to be raining money.

35. Ditto, Izel :):) !

Just like the 'Hoodlums" thread, this is only an extension of one of the latest demographics of today - nothing out of place at all ! It may seem different, strange or odd, but it is an oar for today's calm and lazy river. It is certainly much better than the cursed-filled, inappropriate behavior of some of today's top recording artists !

It may not be for you and I, but it does no harm to the youth of today, blue light sp. . . . I myself ignore it, like so many other examples of bad behavior from top public officials and other idols of our "now" :):) !

36. Why would you let a commercial with kids keep you from shopping at Kmart? Racist?

Personally I think its a decent commercial, nothing "ghetto" about it just because its hip hop themed.

1. In response to izel8326

Why? Because that is the purpose of ads!!! They let you know about a product or company in order to entice you to buy or buy from said entity. That's why I would let an ad decide where I buy from. I hate rap. I hate people who listen to it. It's the soundtrack of gangs and all the violence and sh*tty things that go with them. I'd rather spend my money on a company that shares my same values. Do you really not know that music is perhaps THE strongest binder to align like minds? Do you see someone listening to hip hop marrying someone who is a hardcore bluegrass fan? What do people fight about in the car? Music!!! So don't act so ignorantly and think. These aren't complicated concepts! They're very basic! I wouldn't buy from a store that had Boehner as its spokesman, either! Again, the very point of commercials! I haven't shopped there much anyways as the few left in my town are vile. I occasionally buy electronics, but after this rash of hip hop c-rap "music", I'll stick with the large number of other stores who's commercial DON'T align themselves with encouraging thug activity of ANY color.

2. In response to izel8326

This complaining folks don't know much about hip hop. I myself refuse to listen to most of the mainstream "rap" instead I listen to real hip hop from the soul, I listen to Nas, 2Pac, and Mos Def, and to sum Guru, and those guys from A Tribe Called Quest. Hip hop music is a safety salve for emotions if there was no hip hop there'd be alot more dangerous violence in society. I sometimes write raps myself.

3. In response to izel8326

You are rapping good thoughts, PrincessAM !
      I see all of these negative votes from many, and the venting from several here... It is a catalyst for many who want to chime out against this sector of the population, for sure... Seen it all before, and these same barkings will be with our society 'till the end of time, I suppose... You and I have lasted beyond much more outrage than this, and I know that when the dust settles, Love will be the winner-take-all !!!

4. In response to izel8326

You're a special kind of special aren't you?

5. In response to izel8326

Shop at abercrombie much? Lol

37. Hi, blue_light_special. Welcome to the MyKmart Community and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the new Da Rich Kidzz Kmart commercial.

1. In response to laurelS

I can not stomach your \"Da Rich Kidzz\" commercial who would encourage this foolishness by taking their own school aged children to shop at a business where their own commercials don\'t even sound intelligible. It translates as pandering to what you all think is a hip hop culture. This is hip NOT...It is Blaxploitation at it\'s WORST!!!! How dare you imply that this is relatable to a subculture other then the streets, which is not where we are sending the children on that bus or are we???

2. In response to laurelS

I stumbled on this thread because I was looking for a place to complain about K-Mart's ghetto ad campaign. K-mart has always been my choice for certain basic items. I have long shopped at Sears, and have especially loved Lands' End. But with the nauseating ghetto-glorifying commercials this season, I am done.

3. In response to laurelS

First Yo-mamma jokes and now this "lil-momma" wannabe rapping down the school hall? Pathetic! RACIST! K-Mart is just showing once again they have no class!

4. In response to laurelS

YOU ARE SOOOOOO IGNORANT.THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MUSIC. YOU REDNECK HILLBILLY SMALL GENE POOL NEANDERTHALS SHOULD KNOW THAT THEY EVEN PLAY SOME RAP AT THE PBR AND NASCAR!!!GET WITH IT....YOU ALL WOULD MAKE ME LAUGH EXCEPT YOU REDNECKS ARE THE ONES DOING THE KILLING OF INOCENT PEEPS BECAUSE SOMEONE IS DIFFERENT FROM THEM.

Recent Activity

See More