Question

How Do I Remove Melted Candle Wax or Play Dough From Our Carpet?

Hi Leslie,

We just moved into a place and found some melted wax or play dough in the carpet.  I have tried everything I can think of to remove and cutting it out would leave a very noticeable hole for it is in the base of the carpet.

Do you have any suggestions to help with this issue?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Answers

9 answers

1. Hi Wendy,
    I would try using an ice cube and freezing the area. If it's wax it will get really hard and then you can try scraping off as much as you can. Then put down a clean cloth over the area and rub a hot iron over it. The wax will melt onto the cloth. Just keep using a clean area of the cloth with the hot iron until it's totally removed. If it's play dough, try the ice cube and then scrape off as much as you can. The iron trick won't work for play dough as it's water based. Good luck and keep me posted!

1. In response to cleaningcoach

Hi Leslie!

I had tried yobarps tip below which coincides with yours, on the use of the iron last night and unfortunately it did not work.

But in reading your answer further, that must be why it was not coming up, it is playdough! lol

Your ice tip worked out perfectly!

It took awhile, for my daughter had to work a small part at a time for it was stuck in the bottom grains of the carpet. Patience paid off for the big hard glob that was entangled in the carpet has now been removed. It makes me wonder how long it has been there! Yuck!

Ice was the one tip I had not tried with wax or play dough before. I normally just sit and scrap but this one is so deep into the carpet and did not want to come out.

I am so happy that I this worked for I was about ready to leave a bald spot in the carpet.

Greatly appreciate the tips your provided Leslie! It will help with further issues with having a 3 year old around the house as well as all the candles my daughter likes to burn.

Now I just have to figure out how to remove the pink stain in a light brown carpet! LOL

2. In response to cleaningcoach

Baking soda and water with a little elbow-grease perhaps ? Maybe toss in a little vinegar for taste :):) !

3. In response to cleaningcoach

I just hate how the replies go to the wrong response section :( !

4. In response to cleaningcoach

I like the vinegar suggestion hahahaha to funny!

I have definitely tried the elbow grease and I think I am done with it all. The main thing was to get that big lump up and out of the carpet. YEA!!

It had already been reported during our move-in inspection so I think I am good for now with the pink stain being left over. Picking and choosing my battles and I must move on from it! LOL

Thank you for all your tips they have been great! On to the next challenge!

5. In response to cleaningcoach

I see that, and I'm late responding, as usual !

You are so welcomed to all of my tips, my sweet friend ! And I know exactly what you mean about the battles :} ! I'll be around more tomorrow morning - my favorite time to catch up {^^, !

2. I would definitely try a wet towel beneath either a steam machine or a common clothes iron to do the trick ! And also try putting one of these cheap micro-fiber cloths on top of the wax, then steam it, to try to capture as much wax from the carpet as possible... You may have to contact the carpet's manufacturer to get more tips, perhaps even before you do anything else.

Good luck !

1. In response to yobarps

Great tip yobarps!

I did try this last night, but it was not budging at all. Unfortunately it turned out to be play dough instead of wax so no wonder it was not lifting, for as Leslie mentioned, different components.

Appreciate you helping on this one!

2. In response to yobarps

I'm so glad that Leslie rescued us both ! It's so funny how the two extremes of fire and ice can help us out tremendously, LOL !

Recent Activity

See More