Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

Good Garden reference book or magazine subscription for a beginning gardener?

My mother-in-law has a birthday coming up and she is just getting into gardening. Any suggestions for a good beginner’s book or magazine subscription we could get her for her birthday next month?

Answers

3 answers

1. I have to say Julie, I am really liking Kris's suggestions!

For books, my sister had given me 2 books for Christmas since I definitely do not have a green thumb. This is very embarrassing, but here they are: "Vegetable Gardening for Dummies" and "House Plants for Dummies". LOL

2. Hi JulieK! A great place to start for a magazine subscription is at Kmart's online store (http://www.kmart.com/search=garden%20book%20or%20magazine?catalogId=10104&storeId=10151&levels=Books+%26+Magazines_Magazines&autoRedirect=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC&prop17=garden%20book%20or%20magazine). Organic Gardening is geared more towards edibles, with some ornamental. Birds & Blooms is a great resource for a garden that also appeals to birds and butterflies. And Garden Gate contains a good mix of both ornamental and edible gardening articles. I especially like Gardening How-To for its clear, concise and informative articles. All offer content/articles that I'm sure your mother-in-law will find inspirational, with great how-to information. I know as I have written for all these magazines.

As for a good beginner's reference book, one favorite for many is the Beginner's Illustrated Guide to Gardening by Katie Elzer-Peters. If your mom enjoys having birds and butterflies in her backyard, Attracting Birds, Butterflies & Other Winged Wonders to Your Backyard, by Kris Wetherbee (yes, that's me), is a great resource that includes a wealth of gardening and growing information along with design tips. (You can order from me directly for a signed copy.) Sunset's Western Garden book is always current and a great resource for gardeners living in the West. Or you can go online to a cooperative extension site in the area where your mother-in-law lives. They should have dozens of links for book recommendation. Good luck and best wishes to your mother-in-law for a happy birthday!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Thanks so much for these suggestions, Kris! I am going to check out the Garden Gate magazine. She really loves getting monthly magazines, so think I will go that route.

Thanks again!

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities