Three Great Apple Recipes
On one thing almost every family can agree—apples are delicious! You can’t go wrong with these three fall apple recipes.
It doesn’t matter if you make this homemade apple pie recipe with a store-bought pastry crust or make your own; it’s what’s inside that’s important.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 2 12-inch pie shells (for top and bottom)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups peeled and sliced baking apples such as Granny Smith (about 8 apples)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt together in a bowl and toss with the apples.
- Place one of the pie shells on the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Allow 1-inch overhang.
- Spoon in apple filling, sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Brush overhang pastry lightly with water.
- Fold remaining pastry shell into quarters and cut air vents into the center folded peak by cutting off the tip (center hole) and making one slice on each side about 2 inches away from the center hole.
- Trim excess crust and flute the edges. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with more sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes more until the filling bubbles. If the crust browns too quickly, cover the edges loosely with foil.
Tasty Apple Chutney
Serve with savory chicken or pork main dishes or as an appetizer with sharp cheese on crackers.
- 6 tart apples, peeled, cored and diced to a half-inch
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- Juice from 2 oranges to make 1 cup
- 3/4 cup quality apply cider vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed lightly
- 1 teaspoon whole dried mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup dark raisins
1. Combine all ingredients, except the raisins, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to simmering and continue to cook, stirring, for about 50 minutes until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and mix in the raisins.
3. Cool and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Apple recipes don’t get much easier than this one.
Ingredients (4 to 5 servings)
- 2 to 3 pounds apples (6 to 9 medium)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Peel, core and quarter apples.
- Combine juice with the apples and place in a slow cooker for 4 to 5 hours on high (or on low overnight.)
- Add vanilla and cook for another 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve cold or warm with ice cream for dessert.