Garden Solutions Center Blogs

Take your passion for gardening to the next level with inspired posts.

Power up with Perennials

Aster

Many of my favorite garden plants are perennials. These reliable residents have staying power because they return from their rootstock to greet each new gardening season with foliage and colorful flowers year after year.  Depending on where you live, some perennials such as bergenia also provide evergreen attraction with a mantle of leaves throughout the year.

One of the things I especially love about perennials is that some–such as coneflower, yarrow, euphorbia, coreopsis and sedums–are drought-tolerant once their roots become established. This saves time as the second year rolls around since they require less water. And most perennials have deep roots, which make them more durable than annuals.

Another bonus is that, unlike annuals, these cost-effective plants are a one-time purchase and planting proposition. You buy and plant them once and you’re done. That is, unless you decide to divide certain perennials in the spring or fall to replant in your garden. Of course you can always share the excess of your freebie treasures with family and friends.

Bergenia

When to Plant Perennials:

For best success, I plant my perennials in the cool of the morning or early evening and especially on a cloudy day, if possible. Mulching plants will also save time by keeping weeds to a minimum and retaining soil moisture. Perennials also grow and expand each year and their ultimate size and width depends on the plant, so plan accordingly. You can always fill the empty spaces with potted plants or annuals until the plant fills in.

Asters, catmint, chrysanthemums, coneflower, daylilies, Russian sage, salvia, verbena and sedums are a few of my favorites. How about you?Kris Wetherbee 

Read Kris’ Recent Blogs & Guides 

° How to Make Herb-Infused Vinegar & Wetherbee’s White Bean Salad Recipe – NEW & HOT!
° Gardening Tools for Fall – Wetherbee’s Must Haves 
° Dehydrating Food & Wetherbee’s Dried Cherry Almond Muffins
° Winter Squash Tips & Wetherbee’s Spaghetti Squash Recipe
° Dividing Perennials – Ways to Rejuvenate Prized Perennials
° Harvest Tips for Peak of Flavor & Garden Fresh Salsa
° Composting 101 – Making Black Gold for Your Garden
° Palm Trees 101 – Growing Tips for Outdoor & Indoor
° Tips on Watering Your Garden During the Drought Season
° Setting-up a Bird Bistro with Wild Bird Feeders & Seeds
° The Glamorous Garden Gear-Up – Garden Clogs & Apparel
° The Bird-Bath Wonderland for Winged Wildlife
° Growing Super Speedy Vegetables in 65 Days or Less
° Power up with Hot and Sweet Peppers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Incredible Edible Flowers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Flowering Vines & Climbing Plants: Clematis to Morning Glories
° Walnut Basil Pesto With a Twist – Garden To Table Cooking
° Summer Squash Varieties – Garden to Table Cooking
° Sensational Spring Blooms
° Memorial Trees – Plant a Tree of Gratitude
° How to Grow Tomatoes: Garden to Table Tips
° Go Wild with Hanging Flower Baskets for Mother’s Day
° How to Attract Birds to Your Garden
° Hazelnut Parsley Pesto – Garden to Table Cooking
° How to Grow Beautiful Roses – Planting, Growing and Care
° Three Easy Steps to Plant Summer Flowering Bulbs

Kmart Garden Tool(s)

° Lawn Garden Outdoor Tools Supplies 

kris wetherbee

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. My sister loves these flowers and was very appreciative after reading your blog as well as other Q&A that other members have posted.

She has used many of your tips in planting her garden of flowers and vegetables(just bought a new house).

Thank you Kris and I can't wait to read more ;)

2. I love perennials as well-sometimes I am not the best at remembering to water my plants when it doesn't rain enough, and these always seem to be hearty. I love verbena! Those are my favorites.

3. Great ideas for spring planting just in time for an upcoming warm weekend predicted for my area! Thanks for sharing these helpful tips.

Ask the Expert