Garden Solutions Center Blogs

Take your passion for gardening to the next level with inspired posts.

How to Grow Tomatoes: Garden to Table Tips

Home-grown tomatoes have been an obsession of mine for over two decades, having grown more than 125 varieties in all shapes and sizes. And I’ve tasted more than 200 varieties with a diversity of flavor profiles. So I was excited to see some varieties that I’ve never grown before, such as ‘Defiant’ and ‘New Girl’, at my local Kmart. I also picked up ‘Celebrity’, ‘German Johnson’ tomatoes plus a few other favorites and will be heading out shortly to put my tomatoes in the ground.

A tomato’s flavor profile will vary depending on its characteristics. But I’ve discovered that the development of that
flavor profile depends on the quality of your soil, how it’s grown, and when you harvest the fruits.

I grow plants in full sun and a slightly acidic (soil pH 6.2 to 6.8), well-drained soil rich in organic matter. I also work compost or aged manure into the soil, along with a handful of rock dust and a bit of crushed oyster shell for flavor-enhancing trace minerals. Seaweed and kelp-based products applied as a foliar spray are also beneficial.

Mulching will improve flavor and overall yields, and staking or caging plants keeps fruit and foliage off the ground and in the air where light, heat and circulation are better.  Water your tomatoes consistently and deeply early in the day and cut back on the amount of water once fruit is mature and begins to color.

For best flavor and texture, harvest tomatoes a few days before they are fully ripe, when fruits are semi-firm and have fully developed their color. And never store tomatoes in the refrigerator as chilling the fruits will reduce sweetness and overall flavor.

Skip the fridge and enjoy your harvest by adding fresh chopped tomatoes to pasta, tossed into salads, baked in scones, or added to stir-fries. And don’t forget fresh salsas, fresh tomato sauces, and my personal favorite – caprese salad with sea salt and olive oil drizzled over layers of sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and sliced fresh mozzarella cheese.   Yumm! - Kris Wetherbee

Read Kris’ Recent Blogs & Guides

° Gardening Tools for Fall – Wetherbee’s Must Haves – NEW & HOT!
° Dehydrating Food & Wetherbee’s Dried Cherry Almond Muffins
° Winter Squash Tips & Wetherbee’s Spaghetti Squash Recipe
° Dividing Perennials – Ways to Rejuvenate Prized Perennials
° Harvest Tips for Peak of Flavor & Garden Fresh Salsa
° Composting 101 – Making Black Gold for Your Garden
° Tips on Watering Your Garden During the Drought Season
° Setting-up a Bird Bistro with Wild Bird Feeders & Seeds
° The Glamorous Garden Gear-Up – Garden Clogs & Apparel
° The Bird-Bath Wonderland for Winged Wildlife
° Growing Super Speedy Vegetables in 65 Days or Less
° Power up with Hot and Sweet Peppers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Incredible Edible Flowers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Flowering Vines & Climbing Plants: Clematis to Morning Glories
° Walnut Basil Pesto With a Twist – Garden To Table Cooking
° Summer Squash Varieties – Garden to Table Cooking
° Sensational Spring Blooms
° Memorial Trees – Plant a Tree of Gratitude
° Go Wild with Hanging Flower Baskets for Mother’s Day
° How to Attract Birds to Your Garden
° Hazelnut Parsley Pesto – Garden to Table Cooking
° Deer Resistant Plants for your Garden
° How to Grow Beautiful Roses – Planting, Growing and Care
° Power up with Perennials
° Three Easy Steps to Plant Summer Flowering Bulbs

Kmart Garden Tool(s)

° Lawn Garden Outdoor Tools Supplies

kris wetherbee

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. I am so happy that I finally found my favorite tomato variety of all time -- Black Prince -- at my local K-Mart yesterday. This flavorful heirloom is worth growing and eating!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

This is GREAT to hear, Kris! I will look for Black Prince at my local Kmart as well.

2. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Black Prince sounds delicious. Today is my shopping day and I will be going to K-Mart. Hope they have Black Prince!

2. This is the most complete and concise article on tomatoes that I have ever read. Thanks!

Ask the Expert