A Blog from Marta Perry on Amish Cooking!

This is a special guest blog by renowned author Marta Perry. Marta, who is known for writing Amish romances talks about her fascination of traditional Amish recipes, the necessity of mentioning Amish food frequently in her books, quite well known for all her Amish romantic novels which are still best sellers in the marketplace right now. Her new book that is releasing in June is called Danger in Plain Sight.

Amish Cooking

by Marta Perry

One of the best things about writing Amish fiction is the necessity of mentioning Amish food frequently—and it’s impossible to mention without tasting! Since my family heritage is Pennsylvania Dutch, I have plenty of traditional recipes in my collection. I come from a long line of women who were happiest when they were feeding people, and I really enjoy carrying on the tradition!

The Pennsylvania Dutch are not really Dutch at all. We’re descendants of German-speaking immigrants who came to Pennsylvania in the seventeen hundreds, drawn by William Penn’s promise of ample farmland and religious freedom. So many came that it’s estimated that fully one-fourth of today’s Pennsylvania residents are of German-speaking descent. They brought with them their unique folk art, their religion, and their cherished recipes for hearty breads, pies and cakes, sweets and sours–farm food, suitable for nourishing a family through a day of work from sun-up to sun-down.

Even the names are engaging: whoopie pies and pefferneuse, schnitz un knepp, hexel and mummix, all tantalize both curiosity and taste buds. If I’ve convinced you to give Pennsylvania Dutch cooking a try, here’s my recipe for Shoofly Pie, a traditional breakfast dish:

Shoofly Pie

Filling: Mix together 1 ½ cups boiling water, 1 teaspoons baking soda, and 1 cup of molasses.

Crumbs: Mix 4 cups of flour with 2 cups of brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Cut in one cup of shortening until crumbs form.

Line 2 pie tins with pastry, either homemade or purchased shells. Pour half of the filling into each shell. Put half of the crumbs in each shell over the filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  This is a “wet-bottom” shoofly pie recipe, with lots of juice in the bottom layer. Enjoy! And if you’d like to receive a copy of my brochure of Pennsylvania Dutch recipes, just contact me at marta@martaperry.com.

About Marta Perry

Marta can’t resist the lure of a new story idea.

“Characters appear in my mind and start talking to each other. That’s when I know I’m in trouble. I can’t stop following them until I know their story…their joys, their secret fears, most of all the things that keep them from loving each other.”

This fascination has led the author to write numerous short stories and novels. But with Steeple Hill’s Love Inspired books, she feels she’d found her perfect niche.

When she’s not writing, Marta and her husband enjoy traveling, spending time with friends, and keeping up with their far-flung family.

Danger in Plain Sight- Synopsis

Returning home to Amish country, news photographer Libby Morgan is reunited with police chief Adam Byler, who, striving to keep peace between the Amish and their Englischer neighbors, needs her help in finding a young woman’s attacker.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon