Diary of a Layaway Mom – Get the Most Out of September Sales

From time-to-time, I share my shopping secrets with my friends. This week, my friend Kelly Whalen of the Centsible Life shares her thoughts on getting more for your money. Be sure to check back often for more of Kelly’s smart-spending habits and layaway stories.

It’s back to school time, which means parents are deep in the midst of picking up school supplies, the latest fall fashions, and getting their cameras ready for the first day. Once the kids are back to school you may think your school shopping is over, but September is one of the best times of year to shop. Not only are you able to shop without your kids begging for toys and gear, but you’ll find awesome deals throughout Kmart and Sears as they get ready for the holiday season.

Three ways to get more out of September shopping:

1. Summer savings: You’ll find swimsuits, googles, and other summer gear on deep discount. If your kids are like mine they use these year-round, so it make sense to stock up when prices drop to 75-90% off.

2. Back to School: Yes, I know you filled their backpacks and lunchbags, and you’re thinking you’re done. By mid-September all back-to-school gear will be on sale. It’s the perfect time to stock up on 7 glue sticks instead of waiting until February when they go back up to $1.79! If your kids are like mine it’s probably that you’ll need extra lunchbags and an extra backpack as well to replace the one they left on the school field trip.

3. Pre-holiday sales: While everyone else is thinking fall, you can get a jumpstart on holiday shopping by picking up the latest toys and new decor when it hits the shelves.

If your budget has been stretched thin by back-to-school shopping, you can use layaway to make sure you get everything on your list early. You’ll pay a small amount each pay period and before you know it you’ll have the all your holiday shopping done, without having to battle other shoppers on Black Friday or wait until December 24th.

Do you shop after the kids go back to school?

Kelly Whalen is a mom of 4, and knows all about saving cents. She blogs at the Centsible Life about saving money, and living your dreams on a budget.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. hey I have done the same thing and found a huge savings of over $200.00 dollars by doing this