Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Answers

1 answer

1. Freezing is fast and easy and preserves a lot of the nutrients. The key is to use somewhat young, firm green beans before they become too developed and to freeze them as soon as possible after harvest. Rinse and prepare your green beans and put in ice water. Fill your sink or large bowl with ice water; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil (about 1 gallon of water per pound of beans); add beans to water in batches and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. This method of blanching will preserve the texture of the beans. Take the beans out and immediately plunge them into the ice water bath for a few minutes. I always transfer them to a second batch of ice water to ensure they are completely cool. Drain well, then package in freezer bags, getting as much air out of the bag as possible. Freeze and enjoy for up to eight months.

While freezing is great, I prefer the taste and texture of home-grown, home-canned green beans. The key here for great texture is to put in one to two grape leaves in each canning jar. I sometimes add a basil leaf or two for flavor. Good luck!

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities