Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

What should I plant with my tomatoes to reduce my issues with aphids and whitefly?

Every time I grow tomatoes aphids and whiteflies become a problem – sometimes a significant one. I was wondering if there is something I could plant with the tomatoes to help

Answers

3 answers

1. Gardeners have been pairing flower and herbs with vegetables in order to deter pest insects for centuries. This gardening technique known as "companion planting" is just beginning to blossom as far as studies go. There is some evidence that garlic and marigolds will help keep aphids away.

But there's another technique that is more researched and I find even more effective and that is to plant insectary flowers. These are plants whose flowers provide the nectar that certain beneficials--like aphids and whiteflies--need in order to survive. And while adults do eat these pest insects, it's their larvae that consume these pests in record numbers. Having insectary flowers growing in your vegetable garden will ensure that these adult beneficials stay around to lay their eggs so that you'll have an army of beneficial larvae to help keep your pest insect population in check.

The best insectary plants are those with daisy-like flowers, such as marigolds, coreopsis, cosmos, sunflower, and zinnias. The other group are members of the umbel family. Their flower clusters are shaped like flat-topped umbrellas and include yarrow and plants found in the carrot family, such as dill, fennel, parsley, and coriander.

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Opps -- looks like I had aphids and whiteflies on my brain. The following sentence from above should say: "These are plants whose flowers provide the nectar that certain beneficials--like lady beetles and lacewings (also known as aphid lions)--need in order to survive." But then I guess you could say that aphids and whiteflies are beneficial to the lady beetles and lacewings!

2. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Ahh, a cute slip !
      It certainly looks like the corporation has hired a truly knowledgeable expert named Kris !!! Thanks for all of your expansive garden help :):) !

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities