Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

what kind of plants and flowers I can have in my apartment?

I would like to see plants and flowers in my apartment, but I do not know which type to buy, you do not need to be outside.

Answers

3 answers

1. You will be surprised to know that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of plants that you can grow indoors. You'll have the most options if you have a large sunny window with a south or east exposure, but there are many plants that also survive in low light, such as the cast iron plant or mother-in-law's tongue. How about growing culinary herbs such as basil, mint, parsley, chives, or oregano? A few flowering plant options include poinsettia, azalea, gloxinia, cineraria, chrysanthemum, begonia, hyacinth, astilbe or bromeliads. Create a cactus garden, or go for the big leaves or fabulous foliage of caladium, croton, coleus, or gynura. Try your hand at tropical plants that cleanse the indoor air while beautifying your home. Examples include golden pothos, spider plant, dracaena, heart leaf philodendron, peace lily, and weeping fig. And, if you have a sunny indoor space, you can even grow an orange tree, lemon grass or strawberry guava suited for container growing. Create your own indoor garden and you will not only enhance your home with beauty and interest, but you will also create a green oasis that can reduce stress. Happy gardening!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Hi Kris,

These area all great suggestions and I thank Marleny2827 for asking them. Since I too live in an apartment, I think I might try my hand at the tropical plants to cleanse the inside air.
      I had no idea that there were such a plant to do so.

Thanks again Kris!! ;)

2. Great question! I always seem to kill everything I attempt to grow indoors. :/

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities