Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Answers

3 answers

1. Gnats flying around the house are a nuisance, to say the least. The bad news is that their larvae feed on plant roots and can sicken or kill a plant. The good news is that they are easy to control with Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis (Bti), which is the main ingredient found in mosquito dunks. A liquid form for gnats is available that you mix with water and then pour on the soil. Commercially available products include Mosquito Barrier, Skeetal, and Mosquito Attack. This will kill the larvae. As for the flying adults, you can eliminate them by inserting yellow sticky traps (available in garden departments) in your houseplants.

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

I think they have special lights/lamps for that, and I only go non-toxic. Leave a dish/container out with water and soap inside the planter (enclose in a large, preferably see through plastic bag). But. not for more than a few hours or a day( depends on the plant). I use green apple or lemon fruit smelling ones). Don't continue to do this as the plants need open air and the bag damages some. You can also look up others on-line, but this is cheap and what I came up with. I wish my gnats would have stayed in the plante, because they drove me nuts. You can also leave containers that don't tip out in the open.

2. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

I am not sure how to answer on these discussion areas and was supposed to respond to the person leaving the question. I also can't edit and rushed so needed to add on. I forgot to state, when I said soap, I meant hand dishwashing soap. I have used joy, dawn, and gain, maybe palmolive. I do this because a lot of mine are edibles.

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities