Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

What are your favorite curbside flowers? I need something for full sun, drought and heat-tolerant, and of course, beautiful!

Answers

1 answer

1. This is a difficult question to answer as I have many favorites that beautify a curbside, varying from ground covers and vines left to ramble on the ground, to perennials and sub-shrubs, to a mix of ornamental grasses that provide beautiful colors and textures with their amazing plumes. Those that grow in your area and meet all your requirements for full sun, drought and heat-tolerance include a wide selection of salvias, sedums (Autumn Joy is especially nice), crocosmia, ornamental grasses and daylilies. Lantana, rudbeckia, echinacea, agapanthus, agastache, and rockrose (Cistus) are other worthy contenders. I especially love combining lavender and santolina together, or catmint (Nepeta) and germander. Another favorite is russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia). And certain vines left to ramble on the ground also work well for curbside appeal--one of my top favorites being Lady Banks' rose, an evergreen thornless variety with large clusters of small flowers in early to late spring. An added bonus is this variety is practically immune to disease. Happy Planting!

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities