Question

Self Check-Out lanes

Kmart would greatly benefit in the addition of self-check out lanes in every remaining store the company has. It wouldn’t take care of the slow check-out process customers face at most Kmart stores but it would help make it a more convenient faster option for those with only a couple items. I myself have seen and experienced first hand the frustration customers face at Kmart when they get to the check-out lane and have a customer ahead of them with a cart packed full yet they are stuck in line for over five minutes for one or two items. Most customers remember that and will go elsewhere if they need only a couple items yet aren’t willing to waste time in line waiting to pay. Its all about getting the customer in & out of the store as quick as possible yet getting them to buy while inside and also giving them reason to return. The current way most all Kmart stores run is by having only a couple lanes open leaving so much wasted space with the ones not being used so why not install a couple self-check out lanes with the money saved from all the stores closed in 2012? It would be a good investment. ;-)

Answers

3 answers

1. It totally depends on how they're used. For example, I had to go to Walmart late one evening to pick up a few necessities. With it being the holiday season, the place was busy even though it was after 10 p.m.

As we all know, Wallies are HUGE and that huge store had only TWO cashiers working and their lines were long. I only had a few items but I had to stand in a long line for the self checkout. And what happens when you've got long lines of people with carts full of items using the self checkouts? The wait becomes LONGER because it takes customers a lot more time to scan and bag their items than it does a paid cashier.

Walmart and every other store seem to see the self checkouts as a way to skimp on having real, live cashiers. I think Kmart would do the same thing. I can see having maybe one or two self checkouts and strictly limiting it to 10 items or less but nothing else. Frankly, I RESENT having to stand in long lines to scan and bag my own purchases!

2. Hi,

I agree wholeheartedly! I for one am unable to wait in line for long periods and tend to use the self checkouts myself. I like to come in and get what I need and leave just as quickly, and you are right, I rarely frequent the ones who take longer to check out.

We are quite lucky in my area, our checkers are pretty quick and normally there is at least 3 working the checkouts when ever I shop, but no self checkouts.

Maybe 2013 will bring a change? You never know ;)

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Kmart HAD self-service checkouts in most stores at one time. When they filed for bankruptcy, the self-checkout leases were cancelled in order to save money, and the equipment was pulled out of the stores. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This was the first of many backwards ideas that started Kmart on their sad and tragic downward spiral. It is no longer about aspirations of surviving as a retailer, it is about "shareholder value".

Recent Activity

See More