Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

I want to try and experiment with companion planting in my vegetable garden this year. What companion plants do you recommend to grow near tomatoes?

Answers

3 answers

1. Companion planting creates a beneficial diversity in the garden that encourages healthy and productive plants. Favorite companions for tomatoes are basil, carrots, or marigolds. Chamomile provides calcium to the soil and therefore also benefits tomatoes. Just don't plant tomatoes near any other member of the nightshade family, which includes potatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Good luck!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Hi,
      I was reading this post and have heard about not planting nightshade plants close together. Do you know what happens when you do? Thank you.

2. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and other members of the nightshade family share similar nutritional demands as well as susceptibilities to certain diseases. Planting them together may increase the risk of infection, especially if you continue to grow any members from the same family in the same bed/same soil year after year. Growing a different type of crop in a bed once occupied by a nightshade member gives a grace period where the soil can recuperate and the presence of disease causing pathogens can wane. Ideally, it's best to rotate beds where you have grown tomatoes or other nightshade members on a three year rotation, thereby growing light feeders or legumes such as peas or beans on year two and three.

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities