Question

I just wanted to say how pleased I am with online layaway!!! This was the first time I’ve used it and I couldn’t be more pleased!

I put a TV on layaway during that pre-Black Friday doorbusters sale for Rewards members. I’ve been making the regular payments online with no glitches whatsoever. I didn’t need the TV before Christmas BUT I got a special offer from DirecTV in the mail that offered all sorts of freebies plus a $200 gift card if I returned to DirecTV. I went to the Sears site and paid off the TV, figuring they would need a few days to process the payment and get the TV ready to pick up.

NOPE! I got an email from Sears saying I could pick up the TV now! Yay! Now I just have to wait until my son gets back with my car, haha. This is great service! I’ll get my TV and have DirecTV installed in time to get that gift card, too!

Answers

5 answers

1. It's great that your experience with Kmart's online lay-a-way was a positive one. My experience is so very much the opposite. I put $123 worth of merchandise on lay-a-way online on November 25th and made my final installment payment on January 6th 2013. Within a few hours of my final payment being processed, I received an email stating that due to processing difficulties my lay-a-away has been cancelled and that a refund of $15 - my down payment - was being processed. Since January 8th I have contacted Customer Care at least 7 or 8 times demanding the remainder of my refund. I have been told it's being processed and I should receive it within 5-7 days, I've been told that it has been forwarded to Corporate IT for resolution and that I should receive an email shortly regarding the status of my refund, I had one rep tell me to just log in to my account and for a small cancellation fee, I can cancel the lay-a-way myself. HELLO!! Already cancelled by Kmart and I am NOT paying a cancellation fee. I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General's Office and will tell as many people as I can what a horrible shopping experience this has been. Now Customer Care won't even respond to my emails. My next step will be contacting my bank to report this as fraudulent charges.

1. In response to ncountrygirl

I am currently going through the same thing. I paid my layaway off in full in April. No emails no contact at all and 5 phone calls later I asked for a refund and I am still getting no help at all. Finally filed a complaint with the BBB and contacted my bank about fraud charges also

2. I'm glad you had a great experience, I myself have had nothing but problems. I spent 4 hours waiting in line at the store on the 21st, to go no where & ruining my Christmas. Then I called customer service and spoke to 8 different people over 7 calls cause I was hung up on and in no way was I rude needless to say its the 27th and my profile says the TV's have been delivered but nothing has been delivered. I finally called the bank to do a fraud charge cause no one at Kmart customer service knows what they are doing. My opinion is I will NEVER use Layaway online or at this point ever shop at Kmart again. But I'm so glad you had a good experience, and your holidays where great! Truly!

3. Wonderful, Tea! I remember you asking a few questions a while back about the Black Friday TV offer. Happy to hear you were able to put the TV on layaway and will have it all set up and ready for the Christmas Day Parade! :) I will have to make it to my parents place in time to watch this year as we are still on the no cable kick in our home right now. Ha!

Congrats on your TV, hope you enjoy this purchase for many years to come. Be sure to review it after you have a chance to really test it out!

1. In response to laurelS

Haha, yeah, I did the "no cable" thing for at least a year. But I missed not having the news channels and PBS, of all things! To make a long story short, I was duped in September by a door-to-door cable salesman into reconnecting for what he said was a good deal. He was lying. But for just a tiny bit more than what I'm paying for practically no cable channels on one TV, I can get a really good package with DirecTV in two rooms! I've had Direct before and loved it so I know they won't rip me off.

One question, though -- how do I get my SYWR points for the online layaway purchase? I don't have a regular receipt and none of the payment/layaway emails has a bar code. Plus, the computer at Sears was showing the regular price of the TV, not SYWR Members sale price that I got, so it said I stil have a balance owing even though I don't. The folks at the Sears store said not to worry because this happens a lot and they'll fix that balance situation. I just don't know how to get my points.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I have my layaway number and all of that.