Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

I just read your blog post on plants that attract birds and butterflies and want to grow more plants in my patio garden that do just that. Can you give me a few suggestions for summer-blooming plants? Are there any herbs that will attract birds or butterflies? Thanks!

Answers

1 answer

1. I'm happy that my blog inspired you to grow more wildlife-friendly plants. Two summer-blooming favorites are salvia 'East Friesland', and coreopsis 'Moonbeam'. In fact, I just picked these two up yesterday at my local K-Mart as part of a plant collection to renovate a perennial bed. Salvia has an abundance of nectar-rich blooms that attract a variety of butterflies, hummingbirds and the beautiful sphinx moths. Coreopsis is a magnet for butterflies. Both do exceptional well in your area.

For hummers, you might also consider cape fuchsia (Phygelius), zinnias, crocosmia, agastache and scented geraniums. Additional summer-blooming flowers for butterflies include yarrow, cosmos, echinacea, rudbeckia, and summer phlox. As for herbs, most any flowering herb will appeal to winged wildlife, whether that be birds, butterflies, or beneficial insects--even culinary herbs. Butterflies love lavender, and hummingbirds readily nectar at rosemary flowers. Enjoy!

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities