Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

I have a few containers that I’ve been growing tomatoes in, but would love to continue growing something once the frost has taken the tomatoes as I really love these containers. Any suggestions on plants or herbs that I can grow in winter outdoors? I’m in zone 7b. Thanks!

Answers

1 answer

1. There are many winter-hardy perennials and evergreens that you can grow in containers, such as heather, yucca, boxwood, heuchera, juniper, and cotoneaster. Keep in mind that if you want to grow seasonal veggies or spring/summer annuals in your containers for next season, you will need to transfer these plants to the garden come spring.

For annual winter color, pansies or any of the flowering kales or cabbages are a great way to go. You can also plant a few cold-hardy veggies that will last into winter or longer depending on where your containers are located. (The microclimate on a patio, deck or protected courtyard will be warmer than the microclimate in an open, unsheltered location.) A few veggies to consider include a cold-hardy or overwintering broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, beets, leeks, and an assortment of tasty greens such as swiss chard, kale or spinach. As for herbs, look for rosemary, thyme, oregano and parsley to keep the green coming in cold and beyond.

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities