Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

I got a lot of seeds this spring with the intentions of planting them all. We’ve had horrible rainy weather up here in WV and that, along with the craziness of my life these days has gotten in the way of any planting. Instead of doing it this late, I’d like to save them for next year. What’s the best way to do that?

Answers

1 answer

1. Hi Paige. Seeds last a long time when stored in the freezer in an freezer-safe, airtight container. I've had many types of seeds remain viable for five to 10 years when stored this way. Of course there are some flower and vegetable seeds who have a short life by nature, such as onions which typically remain viable for only a year or two. You may get some of these to sprout in year three or four, but the percentage of viable seeds goes down with each year. There are also certain seeds that have a low percentage of viability even in year one, such as rosemary. So bottom line is put your seed packets in a freezer-proof container or snap and seal freezer bag, store in the freezer and you'll be good to go and sow come next year and many years thereafter.

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities