Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

I am blessed with an abundance of grapes this year. That’s the good news!! :) We have plenty for us, family, friends, Church, etc. Do you have any suggestions on how to use the rest? Thank you!

Answers

3 answers

1. There are so many tasty ways to preserve your grape harvest. For starters, they will easily keep up to a month or more when stored in a cool cellar. I like to freeze extra for use in muffins or smoothies during the winter. Simply put a single layer of grapes on a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow baking dish and freeze for 12 to 24 hours, then transfer the frozen fruit to snap and seal freezer bags and store in the freezer. Since the grapes are individually frozen, you can pour out the amount needed.

If you have a juicer you can make grape juice for canning in quart jars. Or use the fresh juice in marinades and sauces. Grapes are also great for making jams and jellies, chutneys, or for using fresh in fruit salads; a walnut, apple and rice salad; or in a chicken-pecan salad. This should give you plenty of ideas. And when you've had your fill of grapes, leave them for the birds. Over 100 species of birds favor grapes as food!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Thank you for so many great ideas Kris! Can't wait to try them. You are right on about birds loving them. We are thankful we have enough to share with so many people AND the birds and the bees!! LOL

2. A beautiful dilemma indeed (kinda)!!!

Perhaps someone near you online makes wine (small batches) ? I'm sure folks might come pick them up if you found a local community posting board online... Good luck, and thanks for sharing this good news :) !

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities