Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Answers

6 answers

1. I mean "urns" :)

2. Kris is all over this for sure !
    I just wanted to add that I've never done potted plants before this year, and I simply used fertilized potting soil (extended-release) also with a mixture of peat moss and vermicullite when I transplanted into my erns. They're doing pretty good so far... :)

1. In response to yobarps

Nice yobarps! I am happy to hear you decided to give the potted plants a try. We are loving our new flower bed. I'm trying my best to keep our pretty flowers watered and happy! I even talk to them sometimes. haha

2. In response to yobarps

Thanks, Laurel ! I'm also trying to grow Persian Buttercups (Ranunculus) from bulbs in one planter box and so far so good !
      When your blossoms see your face of the voice they'll smile brightly, my beautiful friend ^^, !

3. The short answer is: when they need it. But seriously, the answer is much more complex as it all depends on the condition of your soil; whether or not you applied compost, aged manure or fertilizer at planting time; the type of plant that you’re growing; the type of plant food being used; etc. That said, assuming your soil is better than poor and you added compost, aged manure or fertilizer at planting time, you probably don’t need to apply any plant food until flower buds just begin to open. As a general rule, you can apply liquid fertilizer about every three to four weeks, or a slow-release granular fertilizer once or twice a growing season. Be sure to check the recommendation on the label of the plant food that you’re using. I typically add compost or aged manure prior to planting, then side dress if needed with additional compost or aged manure. Enjoy the blooms!

1. In response to Kris_Wetherbee

Thanks for the tips, Kris! Super helpful.

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities