Garden Solutions Center Ask the Expert

Got a question? Ask and find your answer right here.

Question

how do i get the flowers on all my veggie plants to “fruit”?

All of my plants flower but for some reason they do not produce the fruit after the flower falls off.

Answers

1 answer

1. There are several factors that come into play for flowering plants to produce fruit, and those factors may differ depending on the plant family. General issues may be insufficient sunlight that prevents the plant from setting fruit. Improper fertilization can also be an issue, especially if the fertilizer is higher in nitrogen, which promotes plant growth and foliage. Pests or diseases might also be a factor.

More likely your lack of fruit may be due to temperature and/or moisture extremes. Too hot or too cold temperatures can lead to plants failing to set fruit, especially with several days of 90 degree or higher temperatures, or if night temperatures drop below 50 to 55 degrees for warm season growers like tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. If nights are too chilly, spraying blossoms with a hormone spray may help. If day temps are too hot, you might provide portable shading to cool things down. Vegetables such as cucumbers and squash also require pollinating insects such as honey bees for flowers to set fruit. If pollinators are scarce in your area, you can always hand pollinate blooms with a cotton swab or small paintbrush. Good luck!

Ask the Expert

Recent Activities