Question

Do seasonal part-time workers have to work 29 hours a week?

Hello,

I am a new hire at my local Kmart. I want to earn some extra money for the holidays. However, my HR manager notified me that the company’s policy is at minimum hours 29 hours a week.

I’m 18 years old senior in high school, due to that It’s very difficult for me to go to work almost 40 hours a week excluding homework, and handle another 29+ hour job.

My question is, do all seasonal workers have to work at a minimum of 29 hours?

If it helps, I live in Michigan.

Answers

4 answers

1. Also, I only found out about this because I placed "15-20 hours per week" minimum restriction on my schedule notes; there was no other mention of this "minimum 29 hours".

I'd like to continue working for Kmart, however if it's detrimental to my health, well-being and sanity, sadly I have to keep my priorities straight.

1. In response to LimonKay

Hi LimonKay, to answer your question as a part-time employee myself...part time employees are considered so if they work 30 hours or less per week. Anything over 30 is considered Full Time.

If you can only work 15-20hrs a week due to school, employers can & will work around that so no you aren't required to put in those full 30hrs.

I work for Little Caesars up here in Corunna MI and my franchise owner has all part time workers now at 26hrs a week to avoid having anyone go over. If we go over that 30hr/week allowance he has to count us as full time and provide health insurance. (Affordable Healthcare Act) is so great. NOT! lol

2. In response to LimonKay

I'm sure as a "Seasonal" help employee, certain companies may require you to work the full 29 or 30 hrs. Temporary positions come with a whole different set of rules depending on the company.

3. In response to LimonKay

You are correct izel8326,

Thank you for your reply.
      My hiring manager notified me seasonal position requires 29 hours a week at a minimum, though she's willing to work with me to lower it a little.
      When I am hired as a part-time worker, I'll be getting the schedule and hours of my availability.

Recent Activity

See More