Which Patio Furniture is Right For You?

What’s your favorite room at your house?  Mine isn’t actually a room inside my home, it’s my outdoor patio space – my outdoor oasis.  By the time summer finally arrives in Chicago, I am so sick of being cooped up indoors that I relish any time that I can retreat to my patio and read a book or enjoy some lively conversation with friends.

Choosing the perfect patio furniture for your outdoor oasis requires a little bit of thought and planning.  What should you consider when purchasing outdoor furniture?  Read on; we’ve got you covered.

What Are Your Needs? This is the first question to consider.  For some, it’s the need to just relax outdoors and have a comfortable, casual seating area.  In that case, a four piece seating set with a loveseat, two lounge chairs and a coffee table is ideal.  You can add an ottoman to the set, which can also double as additional seating.

But, what if you also like to lounge “poolside style” with a book?  Perhaps have a cozy place to take a mid-afternoon nap?  A chaise lounge chair or two would certainly be in order.  Pull your chaise alongside your four piece seating set and fully recline the back for additional “bench like” seating when you are entertaining a large crowd.

If a majority of your dining takes place outdoors in the summer, you’ll want to look into a quality outdoor dining set.  While it’s not as “loungy” as a seven piece seating set, the right dining set can be extremely comfortable.  Look for a set that includes cushioned or comfortable woven seats and two host chairs that swivel and lightly recline.  Those features will add to the overall comfort of the dining set.  Don’t forget the umbrella and base for shade!

How Much Space Do You Have? If you’re tight on space, but still want to enjoy the outdoors, you might want to look at a bistro set.  A bistro set is ideal for balconies or small patios and a perfect place for two people to enjoy a glass of wine or a casual meal.  A bistro set evokes the feeling of being at an outdoor café on the Champs-Elysees.

Will you be moving it around? Sound like a silly question?  Well, consider whether you need to move your patio furniture in the winter for protection from the elements and where you might move it.  Also, do you like to have a flexible seating arrangement for entertaining?  These are all questions to consider because your answer will impact your choice of patio furniture.  If you will be moving your patio furniture, you probably want to look for aluminum or wicker furniture as opposed to a heavy wrought iron set.  Teak can also be quite heavy and cumbersome.  While teak and wrought iron look great, it’s not so great on your back when you’re moving things around.

These are just a few things to consider when purchasing patio furniture.  Of course, it’s always a good idea to visit your local Kmart and test out a few options.  What looks great might not feel great to you.  Pick up the lounge chair.  Will you be able to move it into your favorite sunny spot?  Sit in the dining chairs.  Can you imagine a long, lingering evening of wine and conversation in that chair?  How are the cushions – comfy?  Or, perhaps you don’t want the hassle of having to bring the cushions indoors when it rains.  If that’s the case, make sure the construction of the chairs isn’t too hard.  Your back will thank you.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Very helpful. Helps me to think about my actual uses and is helping me with the design of our large outdoor patio.