Uses for Baking Soda in your home

I always admit that I can’t cook – but I do burn. And the only thing know about baking is that if you want something to rise you should use baking soda. Baking soda has so many uses around the house other than deodorizing the refrigerator and making things rise.

Here are a few you may never have thought of:

Using baking soda to clean the toilet – If you empty your toilet of the water then you don’t have to use harsh chemicals. Sprinkle the baking soda into the bowl and give it a swish. It will remove grime and smells.

Cleaning pots and pans – Baking soda is a great “lifter” so when you burn something on the bottom of a pan, just sprinkle a few teaspoons of baking soda on the bottom and add an inch of hot water. Place the pot back on the burner and keep it warm for 15 minutes or more. The burnt on crud on the bottom of the pan will lift right off.

Does your mattress smell stale?  You can sprinkle a little baking soda on it and let it sit for a few hours. Then just vacuum it up. The baking soda will absorb body odors and leave it smelling fresh and clean.

Need to patch a hole in the wall? Mix some baking soda with water and use it like putty in a hole or dent in a wall. It will dry without shrinking and stays nice and white.

Clean your ivory piano keys – Okay so cleaning the piano keys is definitely not something you do every day, but after a while the ivory will start to yellow and look dull. You can use baking soda to clean the ivory keys.  Just dip a moist cloth into the baking soda and with a small amount on the cloth and rub it over the piano keys.

Don’t by the special kitty litter that removes smells. Instead sprinkle baking soda into the kitty litter.  The baking soda is the secret ingredient that absorbs odors in your litter box.  And it will be much cheaper.

Polish your chrome fixtures – Just a dab will do ya….. Sprinkle a little baking soda on a moist microfiber cloth and give your chrome fixtures a good scrub. Baking soda is gentle and it won’t scratch the chrome, yet its lifting properties will take off all the buildup.

Black marks on your hardwood floors? My son loves buying black soled sneakers and they leave those black steaks everywhere. Just use a paste of baking soda and water on a sponge and the black scuff marks will come right off without dulling the finish of your floors.

Does your washing machine smell a little moldy?  Owners of front loading washing machines are having trouble with a stale smell in their laundry. Try using a tablespoon of baking soda with every load. It will work to keep your laundry AND take care of the stale smell in the washer.

Hate to polish silver? Here’s a quick way to clean it without working very hard. Use an aluminum pan lined with foil. Sprinkle baking soda on the foil and then place your silver on top of the foil. Add distilled white vinegar and watch the tarnish JUMP off the silver and on to the foil. You have to see it to believe it.

Out of toothpaste? Dip your toothbrush into a small bowl of baking soda. Brush your teeth as usual. Your teeth will be lovely and fresh and so will your breath. You can also use this as an extra step if you don’t want to give up the toothpaste.

Need a greener scrub? Tired of using a cleansing scrub filled with chemicals? You can make a great scrub that will work in your kitchen or bathroom sink. Just use a cup of baking soda, a cup of table salt and a cup of borax along with 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Stir all four ingredients together and place in a shaker container. (I reuse a parmesan cheese container).  It works perfectly on porcelain and stainless steel sinks.

Read Leslie’s Recent Blogs & Guide

° How to do Laundry: 10 Easy Tips - NEW & HOT!

° A New Year- A New Attitude

° How to Speed Clean Your Home For Guests

° Holiday cleaning tips- 20 day plan

° How to Fake a clean house

° Nine Dirty Spots That Rarely Get Cleaned

° Fall Cleaning Tips

° How to clean Garbage disposal

° How to clean Window Screens

° Bucketless Floor Mopping

° Cleaning Tips to Tackle the Bathroom

° What is the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your Home?

° How To Clean Windows With Just H20

° Microfiber – The Miracle Duster

° 10 House Cleaning Tips to Help You Clean Like a Pro

Kmart Online

° Cleaning Products & Tools

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Wow, Nice list !

What is 'essential oil'?

1. In response to yobarps

Hi Yobarps!
      An essential oil is an oil that comes from different fruits or plants. You can find them in health food stores and online. My personal favorite is lemongrass - because it makes the DIY cleaner smell like an actual cleaning product. Let me know if this helps. I'm thinking that I need to write an entire blog about essential oils. The process is very interesting!

2. In response to yobarps

Yes it does, Leslie ! I'd like to go green with this concoction because of the harshness and ill ease of using the other stuff. Especially on my tub, which has already been etched. When it's replaced later, I'll know exactly what to use {^^,!. . . And bless all of the ladies that are using these oils in making my bath bombs ;)

Thanks-a-bunch, Leslie !

2. I would not have thought to use baking soda to polish chrome or silver. I also like the tip to use for burnt food within pans. I will definitely have to share that one with my daughter who has been trying her hand at cooking since moving out on her own! LOL

Great tips! Thank you for sharing Leslie!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

If she's like me - burning food is a regular event. Always a good idea to keep baking soda round. If you get an open flame, you can always put it out with baking soda! Another tip!

2. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

You bet it is! I have to keep reminding her that she cannot cook everything on high!

That's funny that you bring up about the baking soda for flames, for I had taught myself how to cook and had used it plenty of times. Like I am trying to teach my daughter, not everything can be cooked on high! LOL

The tips for for myself and yobarps are wonderful!

Thank you :-)