The Best Man by New York Times bestselling author Kristan Higgins

By Kristan Higgins

THE BEST MAN, the first book in the Blue Heron series, is set in the fictional town Manningsport, NY, the heart of the Finger Lakes area.

Generally, I start my search by looking at a map. Saw those beautiful, long lakes, learned the area was famous for wine-making…sold! Almost immediately, the idea for the book began to take shape—a small vineyard, humble yet gorgeous. A big, multi-generational family of farmers and winemakers. A tiny town overlooking one of the lakes, a grumpy cop with a problematic sister, and a heroine who returns home after being left at the altar three years ago.

THE BEST MAN was born! I had the pleasure of visiting the area in October, just after harvest. Clearly, it was one of the best research trips ever! We went on vineyard tours and sampled wine and cheese. One winemaker took half a day not just to talk about wine, but to tramp around the fields and forests with us, the love and pride of his land so evident that he became the inspiration for the heroine’s dad. He even let me ride the grape harvester (my retirement job, if I have anything to say about it).

Manningsport is based on Hammondsport, NY, a tiny town built of about 700. Mennonite farms ring the area, the men clad in black clothing driving iron-wheeled tractors, the women in long skirts selling artisan cheese and produce at the Saturday markets. Vineyards abound closer to the lake, acres and acres of twisting vines spreading down to the shores of Keuka, the Crooked Lake. In town, Victorians with big porches make up the village along with little shops, bakeries and the local hang-out. In the fall, the foliage blazes, and the air smells sweet with grapes.

A perfect place to call home, and a perfect place to fall in love.

You can now buy the book at select Kmart stores or online

Back of the Book

Sometimes the best man is the one you least expect…

Faith Holland left her hometown after being jilted at the altar. Now a little older and wiser, she’s ready to return to the Blue Heron Winery, her family’s vineyard, to confront the ghosts of her past, and maybe enjoy a glass of red. After all, there’s some great scenery there….

Like Levi Cooper, the local police chief—and best friend of her former fiancé. There’s a lot about Levi that Faith never noticed, and it’s not just those deep green eyes. The only catch is she’s having a hard time forgetting that he helped ruin her wedding all those years ago. If she can find a minute amidst all her family drama to stop and smell the rosé, she just might find a reason to stay at Blue Heron, and finish that walk down the aisle.

About the Author:

Kristan lives with her family in a small Connecticut town that boasts a wonderful library, a great agricultural fair, a really good ice cream stand and not much else. She is the mother of two lovely kids and the wife of a brave firefighter who is, perhaps more importantly, a fantastic cook. Pets include a cheerful Lab mutt, two cats and the occasional, short-lived beta fish.

Previously a copywriter, Kristan began writing fiction when her children graced her life with simultaneous afternoon naps. Writing, she found, was infinitely more satisfying than folding laundry, and so began her first novel. Kristan holds a BA in English from the College of the Holy Cross, which enables her to identify dangling participles and quote many great novels.

Kristan and her crew spend as much time as possible at the family home on Cape Cod, where they shiver in the Atlantic, ride bikes, swat horseflies and don’t catch any fish.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon