The Benefits of Blu-Ray

1.   Picture resolution:

Blu-ray has up to 6 times the resolution of standard DVD.

Blu-ray resolution: 1080P Standard DVD: 480i

That means you have 1080 lines of resolution being progressively scanned vs. 480 lines of interlaced scanning – meaning only every other line of resolution is being refreshed at any given time.  It’s an optical illusion – only 240 lines are actually being refreshed and it’s tricking your eyes to make it look like 480 lines.

2.   Capacity:

Blu-ray has up to 5 times the capacity of standard DVD.

Picture and sound quality are dependant on “bit-rates”  standard DVD runs at a bit rate of 10 Megabits per second while Blu-ray runs at 48 Megabits per second.  This extra capacity is also used for high-definition bonus features and 7.1 channels of surround sound that could never fit on a standard DVD.

3.   Interactivity:

Blu-ray capacity also allows for special features with video pop-ups to appear while the movie is actually playing, so the director’s face might pop-up in a bubble to tell you about a scene while you’re seeing it.  Many blu-rays have interesting tidbits and facts about the production of the movie that will just appear to satisfy the super geeks who want to know everything about their favorite movies.  Many studios also put interactive games on their blu-rays which can enhance the story of the film with their additional content.

4.   Durability:

Blu-ray discs have a stronger, denser layer of protective coating than DVD

This doesn’t sound like much of an advantage but if you have kids at home that like to use you DVDs as Frisbees this could be your favorite upgrade.   You’re odds of having blu-rays ruined by scratches is far less than with DVD.   - By Kevin Thornley

Read Blu-Ray Player Reviews >>

Shop Blu-Ray Now

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. If you get a chance, see the Planet Earth blu-ray to see the best that the medium has to offer !

2. There are a lot of advantages to blu ray players picture quality being #1 and the good news they are becoming much more affordable!

3. THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT BLUE-RAY, IT REALLY HELPED ME TO DECIDE WHAT I WILL BE BUYING NEXT TIME I NEED A NEW PLAYER, WHICH IS REAL SOON.