Make the Perfect Caramel Apples!
by Mike Morris
Nothing says Halloween like a tasty caramel apple, and nothing is better than a homemade one. The sweet caramel exterior and crisp juicy apple make for a perfect complement. Sure, the store-bought kind is fine, but the added pleasure of a fun (and yummy!) family activity can’t be beat.
Here’s a simple, delicious recipe:
- 24 oz. package of caramels, unwrapped
- 4 tbsp. whole milk
- 10-12 medium-size Golden Delicious apples
- Large ceramic bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Wooden skewers
- Wax paper
- Optional toppings: candy sprinkles; chopped peanuts, walnuts or pecans
- Melt caramels and milk together in a large ceramic bowl in the microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring with a mixing spoon between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Remove the stems from the apples and insert the skewers. Dip an apple into the hot caramel at an angle and rotate it to coat thoroughly with caramel.
- Pull the apple out and let the excess caramel drip into the bowl. Turn the apple right-side-up for a few seconds to prevent all the caramel from settling at the bottom of the apple.
- Set the apple on wax paper and let cool.
Optional: Before setting the apple on wax paper, sprinkle with toppings as desired. You can also put the toppings in a small bowl and roll the apple around in them.