How to Make Zucchini Bread

When you have your own garden, it helps to have a few favorite recipes you can use for your homegrown produce. Even if you prefer to get your fruits and veggies from the farmer’s market or the grocery store, you can still take advantage of recipes like homemade zucchini bread. April is National Zucchini Bread Month, which makes it the perfect time to try out a recipe with a healthy dose of vegetables your family is sure to love.

Zucchini-breadZucchini bread is another quick bread, like banana bread, soda bread or carrot cake, meaning that it uses baking powder and baking soda as leavening instead of yeast. The shredded vegetables give the bread a moist character that would be lacking otherwise.

It’s always best to use small zucchini for normal applications, but if you grow zucchini, you will inevitably get some that are huge and not really appropriate to use on the grill or in ratatouille. Zucchini bread is a good application for those squash that might have slipped past. Zucchini bread can also be modified to contain any number of shredded vegetables instead of zucchini.

Zucchini-breadThis zucchini bread recipe comes from Executive Chef Eben Copple at the Yardley Inn Restaurant & Bar in Bucks County, Penn. The restaurant has its own vegetable and herb garden that’s irrigated by the Delaware River, as well as a farm plot with even more varieties of vegetables and fruits for use in preparing many of the restaurant’s dishes.

The Yardley Inn makes its own breads and desserts on site, with a tasty zucchini bread recipe fit for sharing. While April reminds us to make a loaf for National Zucchini Bread Month, this is a recipe that can be enjoyed throughout the year, especially during July and August when zucchini is in season.

Ingredients

1-1/2 lbs. cake flour, sifted

2 tsp. baking soda

4 tsp. baking powder

pinch of salt

2 cups granulated sugar

1 tsp. grated nutmeg

1/2 tsp. ground star anise

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, melted

2 whole eggs

2 cups plain yogurt

3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed to remove excess moisture

1 cup chopped pecans

Instructions

1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
  2. Mix the butter, eggs and yogurt together.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
  4. Fold in the zucchini and pecans.
  5. Divide the mix among prepared loaf pans (this should make roughly three loaves).
  6. Bake the loaves in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaves comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool slightly before removing from loaf pans.
  8. Allow to cool completely on a rack at room temperature.

The pecans add a delightful texture and flavor to this recipe, which can be enjoyed as a breakfast item, snack or dessert. This recipe makes a lot of zucchini bread, so prepare it for a picnic or as a special treat for your family to enjoy.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. I love Zucchini bread! My grandma always makes it for me! I need to see if she can make some for me now! This recipe looks really good!