How to do Laundry: 10 Easy Tips
As a little girl, I remember listening to my grandmother talk about “laundry day”. She had particular day of the week set aside specifically for doing her laundry. Laundry during the mid-1900’s was a lot of work. Her washing machine didn’t have a rinse or spin cycle, so after the washing a load she had to empty the soapy water, refill the machine with clean water and run it a second time. Then after the clothes were rinsed, she had to hand feed them through a wringer. A load of laundry would take an hour of hard work. I appreciate that I don’t have to do that much work to do a load of laundry. But I’m always looking for ways to make it easier. Here are a few tips that can help make laundry a little easier.
1. Break your laundry into smaller tasks- If you break your laundry into smaller jobs it will be much easier. Small jobs are easier to start and give you a sense of accomplishment.
2. Set aside a specific day or time of day – Setting aside a specific day or time for those smaller jobs will keep you on track. You can plan to do bed sheets on one day – towels the next. Or try to do a load of laundry every day before dinnertime.
3. Keep multiple laundry baskets in everyone’s room – Don’t waste your time separating laundry. Instead have each member of the family do their own separating. You can make this really easy by putting multiple baskets or containers in each bedroom.
4. Create routines – Create a system that has each member family bring a specific color basket to the laundry room on a specific day. Then all you have to do is pop it into the washer.
5. Fold Immediately – Folding laundry as it comes out of the dryer will keep your clothes wrinkle free.
6. Presorting should include whites, darks and colors - Laundry should be sorted into whites, darks and bright colors. If you have a basket for each color in everyone’s bedroom your family can do the presorting for you.
7. Wash new clothing separately – Always wash new clothing separately. Dyes can bleed and ruin an entire load of laundry.
8. Make your dryer more efficient by using dryer balls – Dryer balls are loud in the dryer but really make a big difference. They remove wrinkles and static as well as make your laundry dry faster.
9. Post a list of laundry stain secrets – Research and print a list of things that will remove particular stains on your clothing. This will help when you spot something on your clothing. It will also help to put together a stain kit and keep it next to the washing machine.
10. Recruit your children to help – Give your children small tubs that they can carry to the laundry room. You can also teach them how to move laundry from the washer to the dryer.
In addition, these 3 things will make you laundry day entertaining and make it look less like a task.
Find some extra space – Think about putting your washer and dryer on top of a pedestal with drawers. You can store all your laundry essentials underneath the machines and use the top of the washer and dryer for folding clothing.
Add a screen to your laundry room – Nothing is worse than doing a dull job alone. Try bringing a TV or IPad into the room and watch a favorite show or a movie.
Multi-task – You don’t need to baby sit your laundry. Plan on doing a load or two while you are cooking dinner. This way you can get a load washed and dried before dinner is on the table.
Read Leslie’s Recent Blogs & Guide
° A New Year- A New Attitude - NEW & HOT!