How to clean Window Screens

If you haven’t started your fall cleaning, you are running out of time.  One thing you want to clean before the weather turns too cold are your windows AND your screens. Your window screens have had a long hot summer and they are full of pollen, dust and dirt. They deserve a good scrubbing. When I mention cleaning screens, most people have visions of lining them up outside on the lawn and washing them with tons of bubbles, a scrub brush and the hose. What a mess! Or maybe you’ve tried filling up the bath tub and washing them in there. That’s disgusting. Instead, I’m going to show you how to clean your window screens in seconds. You can clean the inside of the screen while it’s still in the window.   You are going to clean them with a large looped microfiber cloth and some vodka. Yep, that’s right, vodka.  Place a cup of vodka into a spray bottle and lightly spritz it onto the dry microfiber cloth. Gently wipe the cloth over the screen. You will be amazed at the amount of dust and dirt that will be on your cloth.  The great thing about microfiber is that it will hold onto all that dust until you put the cloth into the washing machine.  So keep using the same cloth until it’s full of dirt. The vodka will work to break down any film or build up and then it will evaporate quickly. If you don’t have vodka, you can use rubbing alcohol, but it does leave a very distinct scent. Once you have cleaned the dust from the interior side of the screen, remove the screen and place it on a newspaper or old cloth to protect your floor. Use the microfiber cloth and vodka the same way you did to clean the first side. Gently go over the outside of the screen. You may find that this side of the screen it much dirtier, which is why I recommend protecting your floors. Now that you have the screens cleaned, I suggest storing them for the winter. You will notice your rooms will look brighter and as soon as you get those windows cleaned,  you’ll be ready to watch the leaves change color with nothing to distract your view.

Read Leslie’s Recent Blogs & Guide

° Bucketless Floor MoppingNEW & HOT!

° Cleaning Tips to Tackle the Bathroom

° What is the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your Home?

° How To Clean Windows With Just H20

° Microfiber – The Miracle Duster

° 10 House Cleaning Tips to Help You Clean Like a Pro

Kmart Online

° Cleaning Products & Tools

ShopYourWay Post Email icon