How to Choose the Right Shade of Lipstick

As the cool fall winds begin to blow, it’s time to start thinking about fall fashion, including fall makeup.  I have  blond hair and blue eyes; so in my 10-plus years of wearing makeup I’ve always struggled with fall makeup looks, always thinking back to summer days with a bronzed, natural sun-kissed look.  The fall fashion magazines hit my mailbox about the same time as we received the fall makeup samples here at the office.  As I perused the magazines and the samples, I noticed one stark and scary trend: lipstick.

I’ve always loved the idea of lipstick, don’t get me wrong, but there are a myriad of photos at my mom’s house that tell a story of me loving lipstick, but lipstick not loving me back.  My biggest problem comes with picking the shade, but I’m always fearful of other lipstick blunders that I see daily; lipstick on the teeth, lip liner left around pale lips, smeared lipstick that goes just outside the lip.  As a generalization I see more bad lipstick choices than good.  Makeup should enhance your beauty, not distract from it.

I want to be trendy this fall with bright and saucy lips, but I was still scared.  I’m the kind of girl that likes to use her resources, so I got in touch with a Maybelline makeup expert who gave me some tips about how to wear this fall makeup trend:

• Choose a color that’s one to two shades darker than your natural lip color.
  • If you want fuller looking lips, use lip liner to line your lips, then lipstick inside followed by a little gloss on the middle of your bottom lip.
  • If you choose red (which I probably won’t because I’m not sure I can pull off the Gwen Stefani look) be sure to apply subtle makeup to the rest of your face with neutral eyes and lips.

Although still apprehensive, I now feel a little better equipped to pull off a great fall lipstick style.  I hope you do to, but please remember to check your teeth before leaving the house.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon