How to Choose the Right Bed Sheets and Linens

There are certain things that you should know about bed sheets and linens before you go out and make a purchase.  We’ll call this “Bedding 101.”  After this tutorial, you’ll be able to go out and confidently purchase a new set of sheets that make you feel like every night at home is a night in a hotel.  Let’s begin, shall we?

There are 4 elements to consider when purchasing new sheets.

Material: Sheet sets are available in a wide variety of materials, but cotton is still my favorite.  For cold winter nights, cotton flannel sheets are the coziest.  There is a basic cotton or 50/50 blend, but I recommend upgrading to either Egyptian Cotton, Cotton Damask or Bamboo sheets which feel more luxurious and “breathe” better than a 50/50 blend.  Other materials include satin and synthetic cotton sateen.  Both of these fabrics are silky, but slippery, so beware.

Size: Yes, there are the standard twin, full, queen, king and California king sizes.  However, if you have a pillow-top mattress, you will want to look for fitted sheets with extra deep pockets or corners to accommodate the additional height of your mattress.  Avoid the frustration of purchasing sheets that don’t fit around all four corners by measuring the depth of your mattress.

Thread count: Thread count refers to the total number threads per square inch of fabric.  The higher the thread count the tighter weave and that means softer, more durable sheets. Look for a thread count of AT LEAST 200.  400-800 thread count is ideal and still well within a reasonable price range.  When you get up about 800 thread count, the sheets become much more expensive.

Weave: The weave determines the texture of the fabric.  Sheets are usually made from either percale weave fabrics or sateen weave fabrics.  Percale is smooth and matte in appearance where sateen sheets have more of a luster.  Which you choose is simply a matter of personal preference.

Are you ready to retire your current set of sheets?  Well, now you can.  Armed with these 4 basic guidelines you are now ready to confidently purchase sheets that will turn a night of sleep into a peaceful slumber.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. What sheets are best for hot summer nights?

2. thank you for the very informative info.I learned a few more things I did not know. Now I know what to look for. gb

3. If you are having a hard time finding Deep Pocket sheets, try getting sheet stays. They look a little like garters and are easy to use, they come in a pack of four (one for each corner of the mattress). You just clip them on the sheet and slide under the mattress. It works great!

4. Hi RobynsWorld. I found a higher thread count..no less than 400 count...no pills. Stays smooth, cool and soft and in muggy So. Fla..that's important to me along with a good running a/c. Hope this helps. :-)

5. Very helpful. I never go below 400 thread and OMG it's wonderfurl!!

6. info very helpful

7. My King comforters never go over the side of the bed and I don't like bed skirts because they cover my bed frame witch has decorations on it. I guess what I want is a comforter that atleast comes down over the mattress on the sides.

8. EXTREMELY SATISFIED W/ A COMFORTER,SHEETS,BED SKIRT
    SHAMS AND THE PRICES THAT I PAID FOR THEM......I LOVE TO
    STOP BY ON A WKLY BASIS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE
    GREAT BARGAINS.

9. Why do some sheets pill up and some not? I hate that - which ones should I avoid?

10. I am what my family calls a "sheet snob". I am very particular about my bedding and generally have never bought any sets that were not Egyptian cotton and at least 800 TC. For Christmas I received a set of microfiber sheets from my mom. I was skeptical and had never tried them before. It took me about 3 weeks before I would even dare to try them but, I have to say, I absolutely ADORE them!!! They are soft and comfortable and breathe really well. I guess mom does know best after all LOL.

11. You know, one of the problems we have with deep-pocket sheets is that the top corners of the fitted sheets keep coming off! We have a standard mattress, but I have added a 4" foam egg-crate mattress topper. I find it very difficult to find standard sheets in the stores... I suppose that is because I *may* be shopping in the wrong stores!!

12. This is great information. I learned the hard way but purchased a good set of sheets (Yes expensive) a few years ago. I have never regretted the higher price as the feel is so much more comfortable when I go to bed to rest. I had to have that "AW HA" moment. No more cheap sheets for my beds.

The deeper pocket is a very good tip. It is no fun when your sheets come off in the middle of the night. I just love deep pockets