A New Year- A New Attitude

Do you like New Year’s Resolutions?  Mine are not about my weight or exercising, but instead I think about ways to live a little greener. I love learning new ways to make life healthier.

I also like to find new perspectives on life.  I find that by the end of the year I start taking things for granted. It’s hard work to continue to be grateful for what we have. It doesn’t take much to lose a positive outlook. We need to keep reminding ourselves that we are more fortunate that most of the people in the world.  Here is a quote I found that makes me be more grateful for everything:

• “If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep … you are richer than 75% of this world.
  • If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace … you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.
  • If you woke up this morning with more health than illness … you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
  • If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation… you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
  • If you can attend a church or synagogue meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death … you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.
  • If your parents are still alive and still married … you are very rare, even in the United States.
  • If you can read this, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

So on January 1, 2014, let’s look at our homes with grateful hearts. So many people have lost their homes during the past few years. Let’s start appreciating what we have.

My New Year’s resolution is that I’m going to fall back in love with my home.  I remember driving up to it for the first time with the real estate agent and knowing instantly that this was where we were going to be making memories for a very long time. That was 18 years ago and sometimes I tend to forget how much I loved this house and how lucky we are to have it.

You can do the same with your home. Let’s all commit to fall back in love with our homes – again.  Let’s also change our attitudes about cleaning. I hear all the time that people hate cleaning, yet how can you hate taking care of something you love.  I think that what they are saying is that they have fallen out of love with their homes and they need an attitude adjustment.  Just like a relationship, you need to work at loving your home. Try not complaining about having to clean it. Instead of calling it cleaning, try using a new term like “homekeeping”.  Keeping your home nice and clean for your family doesn’t sound as negative as cleaning don’t you think?

Let’s be grateful for what we have. We are lucky to have a home to take care of. There are thousands of homeless people who would love to have a home like yours so let’s remember that when we start complaining about having to clean it.

In this new year let’s make a plan to think about what your house really needs. Think about the room where your family spends the most time and plan to spend some extra time in that room. Consider doing a deep cleaning that will make it nice and fresh for your family. Spend a few dollars on some nice throw pillows or change a painting on the wall. Window treatments are a great way to change the tone of a room. Treat this room very special as it’s the heart of your home.

Take a few minutes to list out some other things that could be done around your home. Make 2014 the year of your home. A good friend told me that there should always be some type of renovation project going on in your home. If there isn’t, then you home is falling into disrepair. You want to keep up with your home – physically, financially and emotionally. We should take care of the things we love. That’s why I’m going to call it homekeeping in 2014.

Read Leslie’s Recent Blogs & Guide

° How to Speed Clean Your Home For Guests - NEW & HOT!

° Holiday cleaning tips- 20 day plan

° How to Fake a clean house

° Nine Dirty Spots That Rarely Get Cleaned

° Fall Cleaning Tips

° How to clean Garbage disposal

° How to clean Window Screens

° Bucketless Floor Mopping

° Cleaning Tips to Tackle the Bathroom

° What is the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your Home?

° How To Clean Windows With Just H20

° Microfiber – The Miracle Duster

° 10 House Cleaning Tips to Help You Clean Like a Pro

Kmart Online

° Cleaning Products & Tools

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. thanks for sharing....

2. I really like these statements..I've seen such things before, but am happy to be reminded of these stats. I plan to share them with two young mentorees my husband and I help, as well as other young people in my circle. They, as so many Americans, feel overly entitled to get every last material thing on this earth, it seems, and don't realize how lucky they are. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Such an inspirational post! I love the idea of adding inexpensive touches to change up a room, as well!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Thanks Julie for the kind words. Happy Homekeeping in 2014!!