Top Halloween Treats for 2012

Trick-or-treatersby Mike Morris, editor

For anyone under 12 (and some of us approaching 50), Halloween is all about the candy. With so many options, choosing a good variety of Halloween treats to hand out to trick-or-treaters can be difficult. You can go with Halloween candy your family likes, which is a great idea if you have a low turnout and there are gobs of goodies leftover. Or you can buy Halloween treats you don’t like, to try and delay your personal holiday eating binge until at least Thanksgiving.

Many people are opting for a healthier, non-candy approach, handing out single-serving fruit slices, cereal boxes, crackers, pretzels and juice boxes. Popular non-food handouts include stickers, cool pencils and small toys.

If you prefer to go the traditional Halloween candy route so you can see trick-or-treaters’ faces light up, here are the most popular candies of the last five years, in no particular order.

• Snickers®
  • Tootsie Roll®
  • Hershey’s Milk Chocolate®
  • Nestle Crunch®
  • M&M’s®
  • Nerds®
  • Baby Ruth®
  • Reese’s Pieces®
  • Skittles®
  • Milky Way®
  • Life Savers®

What Halloween candy do you like to hand out? What do you like to eat yourself? Write in the Comments section below to share with the community.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Little Debbie snack cakes are excellent choices, cawcat !
    This year, I'm going with a Ziplock brand bag that includes Mrs.Fields cookies, Take5 bars and an assortment of Hershey's miniature chocolate bars. Inside, I'll include a pack of Crack-Ups Popping candy !
    Happy Halloween ;)

1. In response to yobarps

@yobarps - Sounds like you go all out! If I still went Trick-or-Treating I would want to come to your house! :-)

2. In response to yobarps

Thanks, Ryan ! And now that I only got about 10 visitors, I'll have to figure out what to do with the rest... (Anything 'cept letting the co-wrkr vultures have it ;) !

2. I have been handing out Little Debbie snack cakes and the kids love them!