Holiday Traditions Your Family Will Cherish

Christmas dinnerby Janet Grischy

Christmas family traditions are the heart and soul of the holiday season. Presents and parties are important, but the warmth of the season is what will make a lifetime of memories for your children.Holidaytraditions like visiting Grandma or other family members also help children learn the true meaning of Christmas.

New traditions

New family traditions might include making online calls to family members far away or doing your Christmas shopping online. Calling online can include video as well as voice, and online shopping can give you more choices without the hassle of parking and fighting crowds. You will get your shopping done more quickly, and you can have fun picking out presents with your family.

Holiday food traditions

Food just tastes better on a festive holiday table. Prepare something special you don’t make any other time of year to greet the holiday—a traditional recipe your children may cook for their young families someday. Noche Buena salad is a traditional choice, and so is stuffed fish. Of course, to some people, it isn’t a holiday without roast turkey or ham. Be sure to set a festive table to welcome your family and guests, with decorations you can use again and again over the years. Use table runners in red or green to mark the occasion, or find embellished seasonal candles for a centerpiece.

Family traditions

A family’s cherished traditions are what make Christmas merry. Visits to Santa, family ice skating outings, board games with the cousins, small get-togethers with dear friends—these are the things your children will remember always. Show them the true spirit of the season with Christmas family traditions.

What holiday traditions does your family have? Share them in the comments section below.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. My grandmother started a tradition of gifting one special Christmas ornament inscribed with the year to my sister and I when were toddlers. We look forward to opening this little gift each year and have a HUGE collection of ornaments now thanks to this thoughtful tradition created by my grandmother! I plan to continue the tradition with my family someday.