Go Wild with Hanging Flower Baskets for Mother’s Day

During my days as market grower, one of our most popular items were our hanging baskets for Mother’s Day. What made these colorful floating gardens so popular was not only their beauty as a whole, but also their nectar-rich blooms that attracted hummingbirds and butterflies.

This week I will once again be making a few baskets, keeping in mind essential tips that will ensure a basket to impress; all the products needed were picked up at my local Kmart store. Annuals both upright and trailing provide fast seasonal color and instant attraction. A few of my favorites for their nectar-rich blooms include dianthus, geranium (Pelargonium spp.) petunia, lantana, nasturtiums, petunias, rose moss (Portulaca grandiflora), scaevola, sedum, and creeping zinnia (Sanvitalia procumbens). Other annual options are begonia, fuchsia, lobelia, phlox, salvia, million bells (Calibrachoa spp.), and four-o-clock (Mirabilis spp.).

For a basket that “wows” it’s important to combine different leaf shapes or forms along with different textures–soft and fuzzy, lacy, coarse, or bold, for example. Combining plants of different heights will bring depth and visual interest. In other words, place mounding or upright plants towards the pot’s center, with trailing plants spilling over the sides. You’ll need about five to seven plants to fill a 12-inch diameter hanging basket.

Fill baskets 2/3 full with a lightweight, pre-moistened potting mix. Place plants, starting at the center, and firm in with additional potting mix. Water well and hang in a sunny, sheltered location within easy viewing so you can appreciate the hummingbirds and butterflies up close.

Happy Mother’s Day Everyone! –  Kris Wetherbee

Read Kris’ Recent Blogs & Guides

° How to Make Herb-Infused Vinegar & Wetherbee’s White Bean Salad Recipe – NEW & HOT!
° Gardening Tools for Fall – Wetherbee’s Must Haves 
° Dehydrating Food & Wetherbee’s Dried Cherry Almond Muffins
° Winter Squash Tips & Wetherbee’s Spaghetti Squash Recipe
° Dividing Perennials – Ways to Rejuvenate Prized Perennials
° Harvest Tips for Peak of Flavor & Garden Fresh Salsa
° Composting 101 – Making Black Gold for Your Garden
° Palm Trees 101 – Growing Tips for Outdoor & Indoor
° Tips on Watering Your Garden During the Drought Season
° Setting-up a Bird Bistro with Wild Bird Feeders & Seeds
° The Glamorous Garden Gear-Up – Garden Clogs & Apparel
° The Bird-Bath Wonderland for Winged Wildlife
° Growing Super Speedy Vegetables in 65 Days or Less
° Power up with Hot and Sweet Peppers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Incredible Edible Flowers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Flowering Vines & Climbing Plants: Clematis to Morning Glories
° Walnut Basil Pesto With a Twist – Garden To Table Cooking
° Summer Squash Varieties – Garden to Table Cooking
° Sensational Spring Blooms
° Memorial Trees – Plant a Tree of Gratitude
° How to Grow Tomatoes: Garden to Table Tips
° How to Attract Birds to Your Garden
° Hazelnut Parsley Pesto – Garden to Table Cooking
° Deer Resistant Plants for your Garden
° How to Grow Beautiful Roses – Planting, Growing and Care
° Power up with Perennials
° Three Easy Steps to Plant Summer Flowering Bulbs

Kmart Garden Tool(s)

° Lawn Garden Outdoor Tools Supplies

kris wetherbee

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Great blog! My mom loves hanging flower baskets!