Get in Shape the Wii Fit Way

motion sensor video gamesby Barb Hopkins

The health benefits of regular activity and exercise are many. Regular exercise can lower blood pressure, help you maintain a healthy weight and even boost your mood and energy level. Unfortunately for many, it’s easy to skip exercise because going to the gym is a hassle, workouts are boring and it’s often hard to find the motivation to be active every day. It can seem easier to sit in front of the computer screen or television. However, with the Wii Fit™ Plus, you can get active and have fun. Although technically video games, these are not typical kids’ games. They are innovative, require physical movement and are designed for all ages.

Wii exercise basics

The Wii gaming console offers motion-controlled active play. Using the motion-sensitive game controllers, you can swing a golf club, bat or tennis racquet, roll a bowling ball, paddle a kayak or even hurl a dodge ball in a virtual version of the old playground favorite. Wii exercise through fun, interactive games can help raise your heart rate and burn calories while you have fun playing solo or against other players.

Wii Fit Plus

Wii Fit™ Plus is more than just a game — it’s a unique fitness product that combines entertainment and exercise. The Wii Fit™ Plus is a second generation to the original Wii Fit™ released in 2008. You get all the features from the original Wii Fit™, plus several new exercises and expanded tools to help you track and personalize your fitness activity. With the Wii Fit™ Plus you can:

• Take the Body Test, a multi-part fitness test measuring balance, body control and your BMI (body mass index). The game allows you to track your results using a calendar.
  • Engage in calorie-burning training games, such as yoga, balance games, strength training and aerobics, plus 15 advanced activities.

You can even join the Wii Fit™ Plus members’ page on Facebook to connect with others using the system as part of their exercise routines.

Wii Balance Board

The Wii Fit™ board is a key element for using the Wii for fitness. The Wii board senses your real-life movements and translates it to the television screen. Using the balance board, you can shift your weight and ski down a mountain slope, learn and perfect various yoga poses, and play fun balance games such as Soccer Heading, where you must lean from side to side to hit a virtual soccer ball with your head as many times as possible.

Wii Fit games using the balance board can be a fun addition for your fitness routine. Consider games such as We Ski & Snowboard, Daisy Fuentes Pilates, EA Sports Active More Workouts, My Fitness Coach, The Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum.

The Wii Fit™ Plus can be enjoyed by players of all ages and fitness levels. However, you should always consult your physician before beginning any fitness regimen or changing your activity level.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. I think the Wii Fit is the answer to many parents prayers. My son, a teen is loosing weight due to this wonderful "game". I love how it is adaptible to all ages and even elderly have and can benefit. If I was a doctor, I would highly recommend but as a parent, I can also highly recommend. Great product!!