Garden Solutions Center Blogs
Take your passion for gardening to the next level with inspired posts.
The Glamorous Garden Gear-Up – Garden Clogs & Apparel
It all started with clogs. I must confess that I never really thought about “garden gear” as an ensemble of basic essentials that you needed to plan for until clogs came into the picture. Of course I realized the benefits of garden gloves long ago after a day spent digging and raking bare-handed. It only takes a few blisters to not make that mistake again! A wide-brimmed hat for sun protection soon followed. But once clogs came on the scene I realized that gearing up for gardening is just as important as gearing up for biking, hiking or any other outdoor sport or activity.
Gearing up not only protects you from potential mishaps–like blisters, scratches from thorns, cuts, bruised knees or risk of skin cancer–but the right gear can also enhance your experience, heighten the fun and allow you to enjoy your time in the garden in comfort. That said, here are a few things that I consider essential for effective garden gear.
- Hats: As gardeners we spend a lot of time in the sun. Wearing a wide-brim hat (3 inches or greater) keeps you cooler, shades your eyes and offers more face and neck protection
from the damaging effects of the sun than just sun-screen alone. Straw hats with holes and baseball caps can’t compete with the protection you get from a wide-brimmed hat made of tightly woven fabric. The Midwest Garden Hat I picked up at my local Kmart fits the bill with a UPF rating of 50+.
- Sunglasses: They’re not only stylish, but they help protect your eyes and surrounding tender skin from UV rays and reduce the risk of cataracts. When I’m outdoors, I wear mine all the time–even on a cloudy day. Look for sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays.
- Gloves: There are different garden gloves that function for different uses. Leather or synthetic leather gloves are great for pruning, raking and other garden chores that might otherwise cause blisters. Gloves coated with sand nitrile are durable, water-resistant and offer a great grip, making them ideal for potting, planting and working in wet soil. Long and flexible synthetic leather gloves–also known as rose gloves– protect hands and forearms from thorns and other prickly objects and work well when picking zucchini and other squash. And I just bought a pair of WomansWork WWG Digger Gloves. These micro suede gloves are padded for comfort, with reinforced fingertips for multi tasking in the garden. You’ll find all these gloves at Kmart.com.
- Knee protection: Whether weeding or planting, knees can easily get sore, bruised, scratched up or cut after a day spent kneeling on the ground. Padding of some sort will cushion and reduces stress on your knees. Some gardeners prefer knee pads, while others opt for a garden kneeling bench or a scooter that allows you to sit and roll as you go. As for me, I always keep this cushioned kneeling pad handy.
- Garden clogs: Which brings me back to clogs; I wear clogs inside the house, so why not wear clogs designed for the garden. They’re comfortable, durable, keep your feet dry and offer good traction on wet surfaces. So I went to Kmart.com and ordered a pair of Sloggers. The hard part was deciding which color to get! – Kris Wetherbee
Read Kris’ Recent Blogs & Guides
° How to Make Herb-Infused Vinegar & Wetherbee’s White Bean Salad Recipe – NEW & HOT!
° Gardening Tools for Fall – Wetherbee’s Must Haves
° Dehydrating Food & Wetherbee’s Dried Cherry Almond Muffins
° Winter Squash Tips & Wetherbee’s Spaghetti Squash Recipe
° Dividing Perennials – Ways to Rejuvenate Prized Perennials
° Harvest Tips for Peak of Flavor & Garden Fresh Salsa
° Composting 101 – Making Black Gold for Your Garden
° Palm Trees 101 – Growing Tips for Outdoor & Indoor
° Tips on Watering Your Garden During the Drought Season
° Setting-up a Bird Bistro with Wild Bird Feeders & Seeds
° The Bird-Bath Wonderland for Winged Wildlife
° Power up with Hot and Sweet Peppers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Incredible Edible Flowers – Garden to Table Cooking
° Flowering Vines & Climbing Plants: Clematis to Morning Glories
° Walnut Basil Pesto With a Twist – Garden To Table Cooking
° Summer Squash Varieties – Garden to Table Cooking
° Sensational Spring Blooms
° How to Grow Tomatoes: Garden to Table Tips
° Go Wild with Hanging Flower Baskets for Mother’s Day
° How to Attract Birds to Your Garden
° Hazelnut Parsley Pesto – Garden to Table Cooking
° Deer Resistant Plants for your Garden
° How to Grow Beautiful Roses – Planting, Growing and Care
° Power up with Perennials
° Three Easy Steps to Plant Summer Flowering Bulbs
Kmart Garden Tool(s)
Those clogs are the perfect gift for my sister-in-law! Practical and super cute. There are lots of great present ideas for the many gardeners in my family!
- Chino Valley, AZ
Great tips for gardening. I too have learned to gear up for the garden and it is more enjoyable than it already is. I need to get some of those gloves for my wife. Do they come for men also?