Garden Solutions Center Blogs

Take your passion for gardening to the next level with inspired posts.

Kmart Garden Solutions Center is Now Open

Garden Solutions Center hero image

The Kmart Garden Solutions Center is open for business, and its business is delivering some of the best lawn and garden content on the Internet. You’ll find gardening ideas, experts to answer your toughest questions, plant catalog and collections, how-to guides, articles, tips and more.

How to Harden Off and Plant Vegetable SeedlingsWarmer weather and sunny skies will soon turn your lawn and gardens into a jungle if you don’t take proper care of them. Visit the Kmart Garden Solutions Center whenever you need helpful advice on topics like Applying the Right Amount of Fertilizer, Growing Daffodils and Tulips, How to Change the Oil in Your Lawn Tractor and more.

The Kmart Garden Solutions Center is your one-stop resource for information, inspiration and special offers on products and tools to help you turn your yard and garden into an oasis of color and life. Want to know how to increase your tomato crop’s harvest? They’ve got you covered. In fact, there’s not much about lawns and gardens that isn’t covered.

Perennial Plants to Cut Back in SpringAnd the experts can help you with your biggest quandaries. Here’s a recent example of how gardening expert Kris Wetherbee helped one family.

How much mulch should I use around my trees and shrubs? I think my husband uses too much. – Williamsfamily0115

The answer depends on the type of mulch being used. Fine-textured mulches such as grass clippings and aged sawdust can suffocate plant roots if applied too thickly. Coarse-textured mulches such as bark chips create nooks and crannies for good air flow. As such you need a thicker layer when applying these type of mulches. A good rule of thumb is 1 to 2 inches for fine-textured mulch material; 2 to 3 inches for medium-textured mulches; and 3 to 4 inches for mulches with a coarser texture. Mulch for winter protection can go on a bit deeper in colder areas of the country. And don’t forget to give woody plants a mulch-free ring around the trunks and branches; about 2 feet in diameter for trees; 2 to 3 inches away from the stems of woody plants; and 3 to 6 inches away from shrubs.    – Kris Wetherbee

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

Ask the Expert