Garden Solutions Center Blogs

Take your passion for gardening to the next level with inspired posts.

How to Sharpen Garden Tools!

How to Sharpen Garden Tools!

Barnel USA  B525 6.5'' Mini Ratchet Garden Hand Pruner Your garden spade, hoe and other digging tools get duller with each use. So do your hand pruners. If you find yourself struggling to dig a hole or lop off weeds, or if your hand pruners tear more than they cut, check the cutting edge by lightly touching it with your finger. If it feels dull, it’s time for a sharpening.

Take tools to a hardware store for a professional sharpening at the start of the gardening season and then sharpen them at home the rest of the summer with a few licks from a metal file.

Sharpening Shovels, Spades and Hoes

1. Use a wire brush to remove dried, caked-on dirt. Or use a special attachment for your power drill.
  2. Use sandpaper or steel wool to remove as much rust as you can from metal surfaces.
  3. Rinse and dry the tool.
  4. Clamp the tool in a vise or press it firmly against a solid surface with the beveled edge is face up and away from you.
  5. Place a metal bastard file flat on the beveled edge and firmly push the file away from you diagonally with long, sweeping strokes. Keep the file’s face flat on the bevel so it’s on the same angle as the bevel. Sharpen the whole beveled edge.
  6. Flip the tool over and remove any burrs from the edge, but don’t sharped the edge
  7. Gently touch the cutting edge with your finger to test for sharpness.
  8. To protect metal surfaces from rust and corrosion, go over the entire blade with steel wool moistened with in a lightweight machine oil or WD-40.

Sharpening Hand Pruners

1. Take the pruners apart.
  2. Remove rush and dirt with fine steel wool.
  3. Using a whetstone moistened with oil or water (the lubricant depends on the type of whetstone), rub the beveled side of the blade against the stone, following the curve of the blade.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. Thanks on the How to Sharpe Garden Tools. I'm an aviid gardener and use my hoe alot. I have a special triangle shaped hoe that really works well at weeding. I uae pruners to help prune senior and handicap prune their plants.I don;t have alot of space myself but like to go out in the community and help plant flowers for them Carol Nattress

Ask the Expert