Valentine’s Day Cake from The Sweet Magnolia’s Cookbook

The Sweet Magnolias Cookbook by Sherryl Woods with Chef Teddi Wohlford

Try this homemade Valentine’s Day Special Cake for the person you love the most. It is for sure  the sweetest way to say “I love you” to that one special someone in your life.

Valentine’ s Special Decadence Cake (Flourless Chocolate Cake)

Cake

¾ cup butter, cut into small pieces

1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips

6 large eggs, separated

12 tablespoons sugar, divided

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extrac

Glaze

½ cup heavy whipping cream

½ cup dark corn syrup

1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips

Cake

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease a 9” springform pan. Line bottom with parchment or wax paper. Wrap entire outside of pan with heavy-duty foil.
  3. Melt butter, and bring to a boil.
  4. Place chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl. Pour hot butter over chocolate, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth.
  5. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, and 6 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl until mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
  6. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla to yolk mixture. Stir until smooth.
  7. Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoon sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into chocolate mixture in 3 additions.
  8. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Cake top will be puffed and cracked when done.
  9. Cool cake in pan on cooling rack 15 minutes. Cake will fall.
  10. Using a spatula or the back of a large spoon, press edges of cake to be level with the centre. Leave cake in pan until thoroughly cooled.
  11. Run thin knife around inside edge to loosen cake. Remove wall of springform pan. Invert cake onto a 9’ cardboard round. Peel off parchment.

Glaze

1. In a medium saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup to a boil.
  2. Remove from heat, and add chocolate. Let rest 5 minutes.
  3. Gently stir until smooth: you do not want to create any air bubbles in the glaze.
  4. Cover a work surface with parchment or foil. In the center of your prepared work surface, elevate the cake (on the cardboard round) by placing it on top of a bowl smaller than the cardboard round.
  5. Spread 1 cup glaze over cake top. Pour glaze over cake sides. Using an icing spatula, scrape up glaze that has dripped onto parchment to reuse. Repeat glazing the cake top and sides until almost all glaze is used. Wipe clean the bottom rim of cardboard round. Place cake on a platter, and chill at least 1 hour or until glaze is firm. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.

To Serve

Serve with lightly sweetened, freshly whipped cream or fresh berries. Add garnish if desired.

Serves 12

Garnish (optional)

Pour a few ounces of melted chocolate into a freezer-strength zip-top bag. Snip a tiny hole in corner of bag. On parchment or waxed paper, drizzle chocolate into desired shapes. (I think heart shape is romantic.) Let chocolate harden. Carefully peel away from parchment. Or make chocolate curls and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.

Note: Beware, chocoholics- you may have met your match here!!!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. yum can't wait to make this cake!

2. I have never made a cake without flour! Looks heavenly! ;)

3. Wow! This looks REALLY good! Now I just need someone that can bake to make one for me! Haha!