New Release at Kmart Books: Inheritance by New York Times #1 Bestselling Author Christopher Paolini (Inheritance sweepstakes: Win 1 of 3 signed copies)

New Release at Kmart Books: Inheritance by New York Times #1 Bestselling Author Christopher Paolini - Check out the Inheritance sweepstakes & win 1 of 3 signed copies!

Buy now online or in-store at Kmart!

Synopsis

Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.

The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaësia? And if so, at what cost?

This is the much-anticipated, astonishing conclusion to the worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle.

About the author:

Christopher Paolini was born in Southern California and lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains that rise on one side of Paradise Valley inspired the fantastic scenery in Eragon, the first novel in his Inheritance cycle.

Christopher was homeschooled by his parents and often wrote short stories and poems, made frequent trips to the library, and read widely. He was fifteen when he wrote the first draft of Eragon and his family self-published the book in 2001.

In August 2003, Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers published Eragon and it was an instant success, reaching a worldwide audience. Christopher’s second novel Eldest was published in 2005, followed by Brisingr in 2008. To date, there are 49 foreign-language licenses for Eragon alone, and together the first three books in the series have sold 25 million copies worldwide. Inheritance, the fourth and final book in the cycle will be published on November 8, 2011 with a first printing of 2.5 million copies.

Comment on our blog answering the question “Who is your favorite character from the Inheritance Cycle and why?” between dates of 11/8 and 11/22 to win one of 3 signed copies of Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

—————————————————————————————————————————

Don’t forget to bookmark KmartBooks.com and be sure to follow @KmartBooks on Twitter for all of our latest Kmart Book Club Picks, New Releases, Author’s Corner, Romance Cafe & Friday Reads!

[Inheritance] Release SWEEPSTAKES

2011 Official Rules

No Purchase NecessaryA PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.  VOID Where Prohibited.

1. HOW TO ENTER: The [Inheritance] Release Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) begins on November 8, 2011 at 12:01 am Central Time and ends on November 22, 2011  at 11:59 pm in accordance with these Official Rules (“Sweepstakes Period”).  To enter, you must post an answer to the blog post(s) located at [kmartbooks.com] asking the following question: “Who is your favorite character from the Inheritance Cycle and why?” To be eligible for the Sweepstakes, your answer must not contain any irrelevant, non-family-friendly, or otherwise inappropriate content, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.  Limit one entry per person through a comment on the blog post during the Sweepstakes Period.  Sponsor’s decisions will be final in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes and winner eligibility.  Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification.  Not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible or misdirected entries, all of which are void.  Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized individual account holder of the MySears or MyKmart community account associated with the winning entry in order to be awarded a prize.  By entering this Sweepstakes, you agree to the terms of these Official Rules.
  2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to all legal U.S. residents who are individuals 13 or older at the time of entry, excluding employees of Sears Holdings Management Corporation, its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, related companies and advertising and promotion agencies, and the immediate families and/or household members of each of the above.  Void where prohibited.
  3. DRAWING:  On or about November 23, 2011, three (3) potential Prize winners will be selected in a random, drawing among all eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period.  Drawing will be conducted by Sponsor’s representative or designee.  Potential winner will be contacted via e-mail, or telephone.  If any potential winner cannot be contacted, or if prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize.
  4. PRIZE: There will be one (3) Prize awarded, consisting of one (1) author signed copy of Inheritance by Christopher Paolini.  Approximate retail value of Prize is $28.  Odds of winning Prize depend on number of eligible entries received.
  5. PRIZE ACCEPTANCE:  Prize is not transferable. Taxes on Prize are sole responsibility of winner.  No Prize substitutions or cash redemptions allowed except by Sponsor, who may substitute a Prize of equal or greater value if advertised Prize becomes unavailable. Winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability and publicity (where permitted) (by parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) within a time period designated by Sponsor, or Prize may be forfeited. By accepting Prize, winner consents to use of his/her name and likeness for advertising purposes worldwide without limitation and without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
  6. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: By participating in the Sweepstakes, winner agrees to release Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, related companies and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all liability, loss or damage of any kind arising out of or in connection with their participation in this sweepstakes or with respect to awarding, receipt, possession, use and/or misuse of any Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any printing, typographical, mechanical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Sweepstakes or in the announcement of the Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion via mobile phone or otherwise.  If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes or any portion thereof without further obligation or advance notice.  Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes or any portion thereof at any time  and for any reason without further obligation or advance notice.  Sponsor reserves the right, but does not have any obligation, to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date.  Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. By entering, entrants agree to comply with these rules. In the event of a dispute as to who submitted an entry, the Entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the MySears.com or MyKmart.com account submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” means the natural person who is in control of the email address associated with the entering MySears.com or MyKmart.com account. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE SPONSOR’S WEBSITE(S) OR  UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANTS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. If any portion of these rules is determined to be invalid or illegal, the remaining portions of these rules will remain in effect and be construed with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
  7. USE OF INFORMATION: Information provided on Sweepstakes entries or in connection with winning a Prize will be used in accordance with Sponsor’s privacy policy, available at www.mysears.com/privacy_policy and www.mykmart.com/privacy_policy.
  8. WINNER’S LIST: The winner’s list will be available on the www.mysears.com and the www.mykmart.com websites after approximately December 15, 2011 and before February 15, 2012.
  9. SPONSOR: Sears Holdings Management Corporation 3333 Beverly Road Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60179

©2011 Sears Holdings Management Corporation. All rights reserved.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon

1. My favorite character is Saphira. Saphira plays a huge role in all of the books, along with Eragon. She's both motherly to Eragon, and can be used for the saftey of others. Although very fierce, Saphira is very loving. Also, the reason she is my favorite character is obviously because she is a dragon. Anyone who reads these books has to be in love with dragons, and fantasy.

2. My favorite character is Ayra. She is an elf that no longer wishes to live with the elves and takes the time to stay and help eragon. She is a very strong person and I admire her bravery and spirit.

3. My favorite character is Orik. He has the greatest stories to tell Eragon about the dwarves. Orik is also a dependable and trustworthy friend. Orik was also one of the only dwarves that was trusted enough by the Elves to visit Elesmera and Du Weldenvarden. This all shows that he is smart, strong, and brave enough to command respect from anyone and everyone that he meets.

4. My favorite character is Nasuada, because she's extremely intelligent and resourceful and accomplishes great things without the benefits of inhuman strength or magical abilities. Also, I love that she is able to head the resistance efforts and be a leader to all of the warriors without sacrificing any of her femininity! And unlike some of the other remarkable female characters (like Saphira or Angela or Arya), whose more mysterious parts of their personalities go largely unexplained, Nasuada is very relatable to her readers.

5. Eragon is my favorite character of the Inheritance Cycle because I love the way the he puts his friends and family's safety before his own. If something threatened my family, I would do the same. I find myself relating to him because I believe that I am meant to do something special, like Eragon did. Also, he began as a regular boy in the beginning, kind of like I am now, and as soon as Saphira's egg hatched for him, his life was suddenly thrust into a mystical and interesting adventure, not to mention perilous. I believe that people should not shy away from what they believe in and shun themselves because they cannot believe that they can do what they dream, but rather they should go for it, like Eragon. He never shied away from fighting, even though it may have frightened him. Not to mention his epic skills in sword fighting and magic! Go Eragon!

6. My favorite character would have to be Roran. In every book he is determined, loyal, and always follows his heart. He is one of the few characters who is unable to wield magic, yet he does not let this stop him from rallying the villagers, rescuing Katrina, and continuing to fight against Galbatorix. His perseverance showed me that just because the obstacles you face may seem daunting and impossible to overcome, it doesn't mean that you cant succeed. By following your heart and putting all your effort into something, you can accomplish even the hardest of tasks.

7. Saphira the dragon for being able to be both motherly and a warrior at the same time.

8. My favorite character is Saphira.She's a dragon that is a strong smart, warrior that has a great heart and does the right thing and will never give up. she loves Eragon almost like a mother would love thier child.

9. I love it.

10. If I had to pick one of my favorite characters, it would probably be Brom. For being so old, he was an incredibly wise and brave man. Throughout his hiding in Carvahall as a storyteller, Brom told the stories of the legendary Dragon Riders. Though not many believed him, he kept telling the legend. When Eragon came to him and asked about the riders, Brom knew that the legend of the riders was over. Brom even told Eragon the name of his own dragon, Saphira. When Eragon and Saphira had to flee for their lives, Brom joined with them. To Eragon, Brom was very father-like. He taught Eragon about the riders, their dragons, and the ancient language. Even magic. But when Eragon and Sahira were in danger with the Ra’zac, Brom fought with valor and strength along side of them in the end. Even though Brom died, he died a true Rider.

Brom’s teacher Oromis, also a rider, said it best, “He was a good Rider and a good man.”

11. My favorite character is Murtagh/Thorn. They have been through o much and yet they still have their dignity. They are also some o fthe only characters that are not evil by choice but by circumstance.

12. I really like Roran; he's (seemingly) the only one without magic, and that makes him cool in the same way that Han Solo was cool. I also like his hammer. :D

13. Solembum, because he gets all the perks of a cat, or what ever form he takes, along with all the wisdom of his accent race. He is an important character because he shrouds the story in mystery with his advice.

14. Arya is portrayed as mysterious and mystical right from the beginning. Her conscience is like a "god" compared to Eragon. She grows with you and becomes a conflicted member of Eragon's party. The relationship between them is very interesting and Arya is an elf of wisdom and royalty. She's also unique since she's almost an outcast and a single diplomatic carrier between the Varden and the elves. She also says "Wiol ono." to Eragon meaning that she would do the task he asked because he was asking. I found that she can be an incredible emotion evoking creature and as a lonely unknown character, I really wanna try to understand her.

15. Nasuada is my favorite character because her determination, strength, and passion for the cause of the Varden is extremely admirable. She endured The Trial of the Long Knives to prove her worthiness and won. She's loyal, faithful, and resilient, and those traits help make her a great leader.

16. My favorite character is Brom. He might've been old, but he was a tough man who had a lot of knowledge. He also had a lot of nifty sayings. He was one of the Original Riders, which meant his (and Oromis') lessons were THE way to do something.

17. ANGELA the HERBALIST! I DONT NEED A REASON EXCEPT FOR THAT SHE IS AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!

18. Eragon of course. I'm a bit older than the average reader perhaps but like him before finding the egg, my life's been pretty ordinary. Ever since I was young I always felt like I was destined for more. I don't know what my life has in store for me but I love following eragon over the past few years and watching him grow into and amazing person (even if he is fictional). His character is inspiring and gives hope to me as well as others in that you never know what things will come up in life but as long as you have ur friends and family, learn from ur mistakes, not be afraid to embrace novelty, realize no matter how much you know theres always something more to learn, to not be scared stand strong for what's right and those things you believe in and worth fighting for even in times of dispare and fear, to know that people can change who they are... That's why he's my favorite.

19. My favorite character is Roran and the reason I like him is because he is the character that is strong and is a very good leader and really isn't afraid of anything

20. My favorite character is Saphira. Not only because she's a dragon but also because she is a warrior and because she is caring to those she loves. I've always seen her as a mother figure to Eragon.

21. I love Angela- while not one of the main characters...she is so unexpected... she catches me out of sorts. I have been reading the book 2 days now and she STILL surprises me!

22. my favorite character is Arya. Her head is in a good place, and she protects what she believes in. I believe that the romance between her and Eragon makes the story not just a tale of adventure.

23. My favorite character is Arya. She is knowledgeable and wise and holds a level of intrigue in the story. She is a very complex and interesting character

24. My favorite character is Saphira. I've always loved dragons, and to me Saphira is the perfect mix between a friend and a pet--though far better than a pet. Saphira is always there for Eragon, always there to help him with any situation that may come up. She grows as the reader grows with the story, making her an even deeper connection with us.

25. My favourite character would have to be Roran. Though I was impartial toward him early on in the series, I grew to really admire him as a well-developed character. He stands up for what he believes in no matter the cost and will not let anyone tread on him. He is a brave individual who loves and cares for his family and will stop at nothing to defend them. Plus, he is a beast. No one can match him physically.

26. My favorite character is Saphira. She's all alone as the last female dragon. The readers get to watch her grow and mature and fight by Eragon. She's lovable and scary, depending upon whether she likes you or not. And come on, who doesn't love a dragon and wish they could have one? Seriously!

27. My favorite character is Murtagh. He is a very complex character with a well written history. I have always liked the darker anti-hero, despite the tendency for them to be annoyingly flat. However Paolini has not only created Murtagh to be a well rounded character, he is one that, having not yet read book 4, I dearly hope is saved from Galbatorix in the end.

28. My favorite character is Arya because she is mysterious, and also she has a special bond with Eragon and Saphira

29. I just love Eragon himself. Even if he is the main character, his journey opens his life. He has become stronger and more aware. With the help of Saphira, they can accomplish anything and can free Alagaesia from King Galbatorix.