My Kind of Christmas by NYT #1 seller Robyn Carr

by Robyn Carr

Everyone has a favorite holiday story or memory, and one of mine involves what was then our local neighborhood grocery store. More than twenty years ago, my kids were young and hungry and I shopped every day, filling up cart after cart with groceries. The store, family owned, gave out Bargain Booster Stamps to their customers. The idea was simple—spend so much, get so many stamps. The kids and I would lick them and stick them on the Booster cards—nine stamps to a card. The store would frequently have sales on special items—half price with ten Booster cards.

During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, my grocer offered some irresistible deals—a free eighteen-pound turkey in exchange for twenty filled Booster cards. The first year they did that, at Thanksgiving, I grabbed three turkeys and froze two! I gave one of those frozen birds to a family in my neighborhood that had fallen on hard times. And it got me thinking…

At Christmas that year I had enough filled Booster cards to get six turkeys! I bought a ham for our family and took my six frozen turkeys directly to the food bank. And I was not the only one. Lots of customers from that store had done the same thing. The next year I didn’t use a single Booster card for myself, and by the time Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled around I had so many that my family and I filled up the back of a pickup truck with free turkeys! That year we took them to the Salvation Army food bank. The following year a local food bank parked their truck—a semitrailer—in the grocer’s parking lot!

I can say that, without exception, those Bargain Booster years were some of the happiest holidays my family experienced. Giving something, especially something that was so simple yet so meaningful brought such joy to us. It truly was a gift to be the giver rather than the receiver.

I wasn’t thinking about free turkeys when I wrote about Angie LaCroix and Patrick Riordan in My Kind of Christmas. What I was thinking was that certain people are inspired to be generous not only during the holidays, but all year-round.

Patrick, a navy pilot and war veteran, and Angie, a bright young medical student are in that class of people—the kind for whom giving back and paying forward are natural to them…almost as natural as falling in love with the perfect person.

Join me for another Virgin River Christmas story and meet my friends Angie and Patrick. And experience their kind of Christmas. It’ll give you goose bumps.

And then, don’t forget. This Christmas and throughout the year, whenever you see a man or woman in military uniform, take two seconds to stop and thank them for their service.

I’m particularly conscious of our military heroes during the holidays because so many of them are spending those special family days in faraway lands, defending our freedom.  Their need for our support is magnified because holidays can be especially hard.  The Soldiers’ Angels organization is very busy at this time of year and I am proud to be a supporter.  I invite everyone to join me in that support, and express our collective gratitude for their energetic, selfless attention and encouragement they show the men and women who stand the watch and their families.

Lend a hand and help give our deployed heroes an enjoyable holiday season this winter! Please take the time to visit their website (http://soldiersangels.org/6-months-christmas.html) and find out how you can help truly share the gift of Christmas by participating in their 6 months of Christmas campaign.  Donate to a great cause! They’re fighting the good fight. For all of us.

About the Author:

The author of over twenty novels, Robyn reaches a wide audience with her writing. In addition to her touching novels, she’s written historical romance, series romance and a gripping thriller. “This is the best job I’m ever going to get wearing my nightgown,” she says of her writing career.

Originally from Minnesota, Robyn and her family have seen much of the country thanks to her husband, Jim, and his career in aviation. After the two high school sweethearts married, Jim joined the air force during the Vietnam War. They’ve lived in Texas—all four corners—Florida, California and Arizona.

The couple moved to Henderson, Nevada, so Jim could explore a new business opportunity. “At first, being a Great Plains girl at heart, I said, ‘Oh, no, not another desert!’ It didn’t take me long to fall in love with the beauty of Nevada—and the unrivaled spectacle of nearby Las Vegas!”Now that Robyn’s two children are grown—and finally out of the house—she has the luxury of a little free time. “Until my kids grew up, I didn’t realize that a person could have hobbies other than laundry,” she jokes. But it turned out not to be hobbies that keep Robyn busy when she isn’t writing—she found her niche in community service. She has mentored a seniors memoir-writing group, attends book club chats in and out of state whenever possible and is working with her local library on fundraising and visiting author events that bring writers, their books and the community together. And, since the library is in her focus, she sits on the Library Board of Trustees for the city.

About ‘My Kind of Christmas:

The Riordan brothers may have a reputation for being rough-and-tumble, but Patrick has always been the gentle, sweet-natured one. These days, his easygoing manner is being tested by his high-octane career as a navy pilot. But for the Riordan brothers, when the going gets tough…the tough find the love of a good woman.

Except the woman who has caught Patrick’s attention is Jack Sheridan’s very attractive niece.

Angie LeCroix comes to Virgin River to spend Christmas relaxing, away from her well-intentioned but hovering mother. Yet instead of freedom, she gets Jack Sheridan. If her uncle had his way, she’d never go out again. And certainly not with rugged, handsome Patrick Riordan. But Angie has her own idea of the kind of Christmas she wants—and the kind of man!

Patrick and Angie thought they wanted to be left alone this Christmas—until they meet each other. Then they want to be left alone together. But the Sheridan and Riordan families have different plans for Patrick and Angie—and for Christmas, Virgin River-style!

Buy it at select Kmart stores or online!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon