Kmart Book Club Pick June 2011: Creed’s Honor by Linda Lael Miller

About Creed’s Honor

Creed's HonorConnor Creed knows exactly who he is: a hard-working rancher carrying on his uncle’s legacy in Lonesome Bend, Colorado. Maybe a small-town cowboy’s life isn’t his dream, but he owes the man who took him in as a kid. Until the identical twin brother he’s been estranged from for years reenters his life.

Connor struggles with identity issues as he gets to know his wilder brother. And then he meets Tricia McCall, a beautiful woman who knows a thing or two about living someone else’s dreams. Together, they just might find their own dreams right here in Lonesome Bend…

Buy now online and in-store at Kmart!

About Linda Lael Miller

The daughter of a town marshal, New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Linda Lael Miller grew up in Northport, WA, a community of 500 on the Columbia River, 120 miles north of Spokane, where she now lives after five years in Arizona, along with her six horses, two dogs and two cats. Her childhood remembrances include riding horses and playing cowgirl on her grandparents’ nearby farm. Her grandparents’ spread was so rustic that in the early days it lacked electricity and running water.

As delightful as this childhood was, Linda longed to see the world. After graduating as valedictorian of her high school class, she left to pursue her dream at the age of eighteen. Because of the success of her writing career, Linda was able to live part-time in London for several years, spend time in Italy and travel to such far-off destinations as Russia, Hong Kong and Israel. Now, Linda says, the wanderlust is (mostly) out of her blood, and she’s come full circle, back to the people and the places she knows and loves.

Devoted to helping others pursue their dreams, the author will launch her tenth round of Linda Lael Miller Scholarships for Women in May 2010. A talented speaker, she donates all her speaking honoraria to her scholarship fund. The stipends are awarded to women who seek to better their lot in life through education.

It’s no wonder the protagonists in Miller’s novels are women her readers admire for their honor, courage, trustworthiness, valor and determination to succeed, despite overwhelming odds. “These qualities make them excellent role models for young women,” Miller explains. “The male leads possess equally noble traits that today’s woman would be delighted to find in her life’s mate.”

Linda Lael Miller on Cowboy Romances and True Western Grit

Creed's HonorThe west has always been and will always be my heart’s home. I grew up surrounded by rivers, mountains and creeks, listening to all kinds of tales – some of them tall and many of them true – and I’ve woven lots of these elements into my novels.

I have been asked how I knew cowboy romances would be popular and sell as well as they do, and of course, I never knew anything of the sort.  I simply write about western folks, their integrity and strength and their tough-minded, can-do attitudes because these are my people, the men and women I’ve known and admired all my life.

I was raised listening to story after story about my adopted grandmother’s childhood.  Her favorite is when the Dalton brothers tried to rob the bank in Coffeyville, Kansas.  A little girl at the time, she heard the shots from the family farm a few miles out of town.  She also recounts another family favorite: the time Jesse James slept in their barn.

Grampa Lael, a southerner by birth, worked his way west at the age of 17, driving mule teams.  He raised sheep, and while he never got rich, he held onto his farm and his family throughout the Great Depression, and employed workers as well.  He’s famous for paying back every penny of the $400 he borrowed from the bank in the depths of the downturn.

My own father was a former rodeo cowboy and town marshal, as well as a Marine.  He dropped out of high school right after Pearl Harbor and joined the service.  Though he couldn’t swim a lick, he ended up driving amphibious tractors from ship to shore on Iwo Jima.  Throughout the course of his life, he did what needed doing, without complaint.  When I asked why he wasn’t scared, he replied that only a fool isn’t scared, but fear shouldn’t stop a person from shouldering their share of the load.  That lesson stuck with me, not just because Dad said it, but because he lived by it.

My mother was a western woman to the core, born and raised in Choteau, Montana.  To her I owe my love of books and my facility with words.  Additionally, I will be forever grateful to her for all of the deep values in she instilled in us, including kindness, creativity and humor.

As you can see, I come from a long line of folks who can lay honest claim to True Grit.  That’s why I write about strong, spirited and honorable people, like the McKettricks, Creeds and O’Ballivans.  My heroes are true cowboys, with scores to settle and women to love.

Creed’s Honor features Conner and Brody Creed, identical twins and heroic to the core.  Here’s hoping you’ll join Conner and Tricia, as well as some of the characters from A Creed in Stone Creek, for a romantic adventure in Lonesome Bend, Colorado.

Creed’s Cowboy Belt Buckle Giveaway

Excited about reading Creed’s Honor?  How excited would you be if you were wearing a custom-made Creed’s cowboy belt buckle while reading it!?  Kmart Books and Linda Lael Miller have teamed up to give away a Creed’s cowboy belt buckle to one of our MyKmart community members.  Click here to see the belt buckle and learn how to enter the giveaway.

ShopYourWay Post Email icon