Author’s Corner: Q & A with #1 NY Times Bestselling Author Lauren Kate on Passion

Author’s Corner is an exciting new series on Kmart Books where readers can enjoy exclusive content by their favorite authors written just for MyKmart community members.

This week’s Author’s Corner features an inside look at #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Lauren Kate’s latest book, Passion.

—————————————————————————————————————————

From the Hardcover edition

Buy now online or in-store at Kmart!

About Passion

Luce would die for Daniel.

And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . .

Luce is certain that something – or someone – in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.

Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series.

About Lauren Kate

author photo 2011Lauren Kate grew up in Dallas, went to school in Atlanta, and started writing in New York. She is the author of Fallen, Torment, the forthcoming Passion, and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. Her books have been translated into over thirty languages. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her husband and hopes to work in a restaurant kitchen and learn how to surf. She is currently at work on the final book in the Fallen series, Rapture.

Q & A with Lauren Kate on her new book, Passion

1. Passion is the third book in the Fallen series; why did you choose the third novel to tell the beginning of Luce and Daniel’s love?

Fallen begins in the present because my first priority in this series was to ground the reader in the life of our narrator, Luce Price – a girl born in Thunderbolt, Georgia, in 1993. She is much like many readers out there – stubborn, romantic, misunderstood, flawed. For all she knows, Sword and Cross is the beginning of her love with Daniel.

Then things get a little wacky. But this only happens when Luce (and, by extension, the reader) is ready to go there. The lives Luce delves backwards into over the course of Passion are often strange and unfathomable, and I think it helps to have a guide we can trust as we go along. That guide, obviously, is Luce herself, and we trust her because we’ve grown with her over the course of the first two books. Though Passion gives the backstory of Luce and Daniel’s love, I don’t think it could have come first in the series.

2. Your fan base is huge internationally and growing. Would you recommend a new reader start with Passion?

I would definitely recommend that readers start with Fallen. It’s been complicated to use the term “prequel” with regard to this book – because it’s not that kind of prequel. It’s much more integrated, picking up the forward narrative thrust that’s been established in Fallen and Torment. Passion looks backwards and forwards at the same time, and provides an important link between Torment and the fourth book, Rapture.

3. Do you think that in order to find our path and purpose in life we need to revisit the past?

How very Faulknerian of you to ask. I love books like The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom! so much because of their obsession with the past. It’s not even so much that we have the choice to revisit our pasts – our pasts haunt us, whether we like it or not. They hold a heavy power over everything we do. The past can be a prison or it can hold the key to redemption. For Luce, it works both ways. In Passion, we see her oscillate between those two extremes.

4. If you weren’t the author would you be Team Daniel or Team Cam?

Team Cam. (He’s based on my husband and that holds a mighty sway.)

5. What is your advice for teens on love?

Find your passion. For me, that means someone who I can laugh with and who makes me feel like the best version of myself. Don’t like someone because they like you. Do work at love when it feels hard.

6. The love story of Daniel and Luce would make a great movie! Would you want the series to go to the big screen? Or even television? Who would you want to play each part?

I’m very excited that Disney is working to adapt the books for the big screen. I love Lucy Hale for Luce, Ed Westwick for Cam, and if I had a time machine, I’d like to cast Leonard Whiting from Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet as Daniel.

7. Can we get a sneak peek into Rapture?

I’m working on it right now. All I can tell you is that it’s the only time in my life I’ve ever cried while writing a scene.

Are you excited to read Lauren’s new book?  Share your thoughts with us.  If you’ve already read it, leave your book review in the comments below!

If you want to learn more about Passion, check out the trailer and extract in last week’s new release post.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Don’t forget to bookmark KmartBooks.com and be sure to follow @KmartBooks on Twitter for all of our latest Kmart Book Club Picks, New Releases, Author’s CornerRomance CafeFriday Reads!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon