Author’s Corner: NY Times Bestselling Author Diana Palmer on Dangerous

Author’s Corner is an exciting new series on Kmart Books where readers can enjoy exclusive content by their favorite authors written just for MyKmart community members.

This week’s Author’s Corner features an inside look at New York Times Bestselling Author Diana Palmer’s latest book, Dangerous.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Dangerous

Buy it now online or in-store at Kmart!

About Dangerous

Tall, lean and headstrong, FBI agent Kilraven lives by his own rules. And one of those rules includes keeping his hands off Jacobsville’s resident sweetheart, Winnie Sinclair, no matter the temptation. Shy and innocent, Winnie couldn’t handle a man like him – a merciless man with a haunted past. And this small town may hold not only the woman he fights to resist, but the answers to a cold case that is very personal to Kilraven.

Winnie has had her own share of sorrow and senses Kilraven’s pain. Even though she tries to deny it, the gentle 911 operator feels a connection with the darkly handsome agent. When he makes the disturbing discovery that her family’s unsavory past might have a bearing on his case, Winnie is determined to help him crack it – and the ice around his heart.

As they combine forces in a dangerous investigation, the stakes rise ever higher. Winnie’s life is on the line, and she’ll need Kilraven more than ever. But if they are to have a future together, her ruthless Texan will need to confront his past and risk it all for their love.

About Diana Palmer

Diana Palmer, the New York Times bestselling author of more than one hundred novels, is renowned as one of North America’s top ten romance writers. When she published her first novel in 1979, fans immediately fell in love with her sensual, charming romances – and this love affair will only heat up with her upcoming books.

A die-hard romantic who married her husband five days after they met, Diana says that she wrote her first book at age thirteen – and has been hooked ever since.

Palmer began her career as a newspaper reporter and columnist – a path she followed for sixteen years. When her novel Heather’s Song was purchased by Silhouette Books in 1980, she retired her press badge and devoted herself to a life filled with romance and penning the page-turners her readers find so hard to put down.

This dynamic woman graduated summa cum laude from Piedmont College in 1995 – at the age of forty-nine! “College was an experience I’ll always cherish,” she says. “Now I fund a scholarship at my alma mater in my late father’s name – he’d laugh to know that it’s a science scholarship, when I can barely do math! I also fund a nursing scholarship at the Oglala Lakota College in Kyle, South Dakota, in the name of my mother, who was a nurse.”

Palmer is a member of the Native American Rights Fund, the American Museum of Natural History, the National Cattleman’s Association, the Planetary Society, the Georgia Sheriff’s Association and numerous conservation and charitable organizations. Her hobbies include gardening, knitting, quilting, anthropology, astronomy and music.

Palmer lives in northeast Georgia with her husband, James Kyle, and a menagerie of animals that includes four dogs, three cats, assorted exotic lizards and an emu named George. She loves Spanish-language soap operas and fast cars – her latest is a Jaguar.

A Kmart Books Exclusive Look into Dangerous by Diana Palmer

The hero of DANGEROUS, Officer Kilraven, an undercover government agent, first turned up as a character in one of my hardcovers, FEARLESS. Immediately, he established himself as a solo operator, versus a team player. During a stakeout, he rushed in against orders and scattered a bunch of drug dealers. One of them was an undercover DEA agent, and Kilraven blew the stakeout. But later, he saved the heroine from being killed, so he redeemed himself. And I thought, this guy is unique. I should put him in a book. So I did. And here it is, DANGEROUS.

It always amazes me how the creative process works. I have a loose plot in mind when I begin, but very soon the characters themselves start to drive the action. I become a spectator, describing events. (Do not send men with nets, I swear, I’m perfectly sane, lol).

Kilraven had a tragedy in his past. His wife and his three year old daughter were killed for reasons he never knew. Seven years have passed since the horrific murders, and he finally has a clue to the identity of the murderer. This was mentioned in another of my novels, THE MAVERICK, (Silhouette Desire, 2009). I was certain at the time that I knew who committed the murders, and the motive for the crime. Was I surprised when another suspect popped up in this year’s hardcover and I had to rethink the ending! (No nets, please).

Kilraven himself, and his brother, Jon Blackhawk (the hero of the July 2011 hardcover MERCILESS ) have also been featured in HEART OF STONE (Silhouette Special Edition, 2008) and TOUGH TO TAME ( Harlequin Romance, 2010).

The brothers are actually half-brothers, whose father was an FBI agent. Kilraven has Lakota blood, while  Jon is Lakota and Cherokee. Jon’s mother, Cammy, is a tough nut with a marshmallow center, but she likes to walk over the girls her sons date. So when Winnie Sinclair, a 911 dispatcher,  becomes interested in Kilraven, Cammy tries to intervene. I won’t say what happens, but Cammy refers to Winnie thereafter as the “little blonde chainsaw.”

Kilraven and Winnie have a tempestuous relationship which is impacted by Kilraven’s hunger for vengeance on the people who killed his child. Winnie’s long-lost mother also reappears in a startling revelation which ties her late husband, peripherally, into the murders.

I spent 16 years of my life as a newspaper reporter, dealing with all sorts of tragedies, and getting to know how law enforcement worked. I had, and still have, the greatest respect for those who uphold the law, and for the 911 dispatchers and all emergency services people, government agents and firemen, who give so much of their lives to protect the rest of us. This book, DANGEROUS, is dedicated to 911 operators everywhere, but especially to my friend Cindy, who taught me a lot about the 911 service and made the writing of the book so much easier. I dedicated the book to her in gratitude. Thanks again, Cindy.

And to all my readers, everywhere, thank you so much for your kindness and loyalty over all the long years. I am still your biggest fan.

Diana Palmer

If you’d like to read Dangerous, buy it online now or in-store at Kmart.

Are you excited to read Diana’s new book?  Share your thoughts with us.  If you’ve already read it, leave your book review in the comments below!

—————————————————————————————————————————

Don’t forget to bookmark KmartBooks.com and be sure to follow @KmartBooks on Twitter for all of our latest Kmart Book Club Picks, New Releases, Author’s Corner, Romance Cafe & Friday Reads!

ShopYourWay Post Email icon